Connection problem btwn my had hd stb n samsung hdtv dlp
Roejo81

Called Verizon about this problem n they told me there's a patch or firmware update on Samsung web site but I found nothing on there web site addressing this problem !!!!!!!

Any hlp would be much appreciated

Message Edited by Roejo81 on 09-01-2008 08:39 AM
0 Likes
Re: Connection problem btwn my had hd stb n samsung hdtv dlp
Justin46
Legend
Well, what is the problem?
0 Likes
Re: Connection problem btwn my hd stb n samsung hdtv dlp
Roejo81
hd stb looses signal 2 or 3 times a month n i have to reset it by disconnecting the plug in the bk of the stb
0 Likes
Roejo81
this is when i called verizon n they told me theres a patch on samsungs web site that could fix this problem, but i went on samsungs web site n there is no such patch or firmware update thst i can find !!!!!!!
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

First, I have to say that it would be a whole lot easier to help you (or at least try to help) if you would provide as much information as you can. For example:

1) Is this an HDMI connection between the TV and the STB?

2) Does this occur when you are watching the TV or only when you power on?

3) If at power on, are you powering on both the TV and the STB at the same time, or separately?

4) When you say remove the plug, do you mean the power or the connection between the TV and the STB?

5) What level of the IMG do you have (1.5 or 1.6)?

I will assume you are talking about an HTMI connection, and the failure occurs during power on of the TV (and maybe the STB). I do not have a Samsung TV, I have a Sony, but in the almost three years I have used an HDMI connection I have experienced a failure to display anything when I power on the TV (I leave my STB, an HD DVR, on all of the time) maybe 4 or 5 times. And similar to what I think you said, the only way I can get it to work again is to remove the power from the DVR, wait maybe 10 seconds, and plug it back in.

If your symptoms are similar, it is most probably an HDMI handshake problem. From what I have read on other forums, the HDMI technical specifications are not as clear and crisp as they should be (or at least weren't initially), and different manufacturers seemly interpreted things differently. The result is occasional failures. And again, from what I have read, Samsung TVs seem to exhibit this problem more than others.

If you are using HDMI, one thing you can do is switch to component cables. That will almost certainly eliminate the problem, and the PQ will probably be the same.

Another thing you could try is to power the TV and STB on and off separately, and leave the STB on, I think that might minimize the frequency.

If you want to stay with HDMI, then I suggest you call or email Samsung and describe the problem, there supposedly is a fix for at least some Samsung TVs, but I don't know which models, or whether it really works.

Rather longwinded, but I hope it helps some. 

0 Likes
Roejo81
Thnx justin I'll try that ........
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3
What model is your TV?
0 Likes
Roejo81