Considering switch to FiOS, need information on DVRs
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

Hi,

I've had FiOS Phone and Internet for several years. For TV I have DirecTV with 3 DirecTV DVRs with TiVo service. The old ones that I have hacked up a storm: Larger HDs, Multiroom Viewing, etc.. I can record up to 6 programs at one time (across 3 DVRs) and can view the programs on any DVR. I have a totle of 600 GB of storage space. So, at SD resolution I can record 100's of hours of content. My main problem is they are getting old; I have repaired them multiple times. But that is becoming more and more difficult. I am considering moving completely to FiOS Triple play and the Multiroom DVR.

My house is basically run with 2 lines of coax to all the TV locations.

So, How do the MRDVRs work? How many programs can I record at one time? How much SD storage space is there? Can I expend the storage space? How many satellite stations can I have? Can I install more than on MRDVR and share all the content across all the satellites (including the other MRDVRs)?

0 Likes
Re: Considering switch to FiOS, need information on DVRs
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

Just want to add that ATT U-Verse is offering a Multiroom DVR that can record 4 programs at one time. So my alternate plan if Vz can't do it is to go to ATT's triple play option.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@mphare wrote:

Hi,

I've had FiOS Phone and Internet for several years. For TV I have DirecTV with 3 DirecTV DVRs with TiVo service. The old ones that I have hacked up a storm: Larger HDs, Multiroom Viewing, etc.. I can record up to 6 programs at one time (across 3 DVRs) and can view the programs on any DVR. I have a totle of 600 GB of storage space. So, at SD resolution I can record 100's of hours of content. My main problem is they are getting old; I have repaired them multiple times. But that is becoming more and more difficult. I am considering moving completely to FiOS Triple play and the Multiroom DVR.

My house is basically run with 2 lines of coax to all the TV locations.

So, How do the MRDVRs work? How many programs can I record at one time? How much SD storage space is there? Can I expend the storage space? How many satellite stations can I have? Can I install more than on MRDVR and share all the content across all the satellites (including the other MRDVRs)?

So far the Verizon (new ones) DVR's will do what you're looking for..  They are similiar to the directv boxes and may even be a better move for you.

The new Verizon DVR's have 500 GB hard drives built in (most new customers get these newer dvr's)

The 500 GB dvr's do upto SD : 298.6 hours and upto HD : 71.2 hours 

They are leased from Verizon, so you won't have to worry about fixing them if they break, you simply call Verizon and they get you a new one.   The Multiroom is where it will be tricky.    Verizon's current software - won't let you have DVR to DVR communication.  The way it's currently set up is DVR to NON DVR communication. 

The next software release is 1.9 and it's being beta tested right now, and it includes DVR to DVR communication.   we are all hoping for april / june / july Time frame for it's release, but there is no official date yet.  It's right around the corner though, and then you'll be able to make the multi room work exactly the way you want it to.   

each DVR has 2 Tuners so you can record TWO shows PER DVR.  if you have 3 DVR's, then that is 6 tuners, and 6 shows you can record.    

The 1.9 release will also include the ability to add upto 1TB external hard drive Storage via ESATA, which is roughly SD : 619.6 hours, and HD : 147.8 hours ON TOP OF the 500 GB dvr that we talked about earlier.  

so that is almost 300 hours of SD plus 619 hours of SD on the 1 tb totalling a little over 900 hours of SD recordings, or 71 hours plus 147 to equal almost 220 hours of HD recording space.

with FiOS, the initial limit is 7 IP enabled set top boxes.  so most people's limit is 7, unless some of their satellite stations are in guest bedrooms, and they really don't need anything fancy in those areas.  FiOS offers a very very basic cable box, standard definition only, no fancy guide, no video on demand, and you can have almost any number of those.   There are ways to do things though,  so maybe if you tell us how many tv's - we could give you an idea of how you'll want to set up, or if you'll run into any problems. 

"Can I install more than on MRDVR and share all the content across all the satellites (including the other MRDVRs)?"

At this time, I think you can only designate one DVR as the MRDVR and then all the boxes will have access to it, but I don't believe you can set multiple MRDVR's.  that is a future enhancement, and I haven't heard of that in the 1.9 software.

FYI I went from directv of 15 years to fios and haven't looked back.  there are differences - but it's like anything else, you simply got a little learning curve on some things.  I didn't have much, I have used multiple systems for a while, and a pretty good memory, but its a good switch.  It's a great price, PHENOMENAL internet speed a picture quality, 2nd to none. 

the only thing I miss is the 1080p movies, but to be honest the 1080i upscaled on my 1080p tv offers a pretty darn good picture if I do say so myself.    I don't watch much VOD anyways, so it isn't a deal breaker for me 

mphare
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, Hubrisnxs. Some really good information there.

Please let me ask for some clarification on the MRDVR and v1.9 software release.

You indicate that 1.9 will allow DVR to DVR communication, so I can use any one of the DVRs to record a program and then use anyone of the other DVRs to watch it? That would be ideal since it would be exactly the setup I have now.

You say I can only assign one DVR as the MRDVR, but is this necessary with v1.9 sw? (assuming my above description is correct). Why would I need a MRDVR if all my DVRs spoke to each other?

Are there any DRM restrictions? I've heard that newer DirecTV DVRs allow MRV, but only if the channel allows it, so local NBC may allow MRV, but HBO may not.

I have 3 main TVs (no HD yet 🙂 ) and possibly up to 3 secondary TVs in guest a BdRm, Kitchen, and Office. I would like the 3 main TV to have the DVRs and the 3 secondary TVs could have almost anything as long as they can access the FiOS and the DVR content.

Thanks again for the information!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@mphare wrote:

Thanks, Hubrisnxs. Some really good information there.

Please let me ask for some clarification on the MRDVR and v1.9 software release.

1.  You indicate that 1.9 will allow DVR to DVR communication, so I can use any one of the DVRs to record a program and then use anyone of the other DVRs to watch it? That would be ideal since it would be exactly the setup I have now.

2. You say I can only assign one DVR as the MRDVR, but is this necessary with v1.9 sw? (assuming my above description is correct). Why would I need a MRDVR if all my DVRs spoke to each other?

3. Are there any DRM restrictions? I've heard that newer DirecTV DVRs allow MRV, but only if the channel allows it, so local NBC may allow MRV, but HBO may not.

I have 3 main TVs (no HD yet 🙂 ) and possibly up to 3 secondary TVs in guest a BdRm, Kitchen, and Office. I would like the 3 main TV to have the DVRs and the 3 secondary TVs could have almost anything as long as they can access the FiOS and the DVR content.

Thanks again for the information!

1. Yes that is exactly right.  

2. It's a new feature, and I haven't used it yet, so I am not 100% sure how it will work, but what I was envisioning is this.  IF only one could be designated as a MRDVR or HUB, then that means it couldn't go out and search for other DVR's.  Only other DVR's would be able to communicate with the main one.  not backwards.   I might be wrong on how that will ultimately work.  

3.  Verizon Cable boxes have none of those restrictions. 

and the rooms that you described should be perfectly fine with the 7 limit.  Even have a tiny bit of room to grow.  When you get to the 7 limit and you are going to add an 8th box, just realize, it probably won't be an HD box, or one capable of getting on demand or a menu guide, but will be perfectly capable of getting all of your subscribed Standard definition programs that you pay for. 

🙂

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

mphare wrote

The digital adapters are not capable of accessing any device via IP as is required for "remote" viewing of DVR content.

You would have to have an HD STB in the other rooms as Verizon no longer offers an IP enabled SD box.

0 Likes
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Keyboards (what is that, a Hammond B3?)

So the HD STB will also provide SD programming to the non-HD TVs I have?

Will it connect to a non MRDVRs if I have 3 DVR in a point to point configuration (once sr 1.9 is released)?

If I have 3 non MRDVRs for 6 tuners, does the STB need one of this tuners to watch live programming? If so, how does it pick the tuner to use?

Also, I see cable cards.. how may cable cards will I need? 1 per tuner? 1 per DVR? How about the STB, does it also need a cable card?

This is looking really promising, but is about 180° out of phase with what I'm used to, so I have a lot of questions.

Thanks!

- m

0 Likes
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

2. so would I have to designate one as the MRDVR or can I leave them all peers on the network?

Will the secondary (non-DVR) TVs be able to access the DVR content from the other 3 DVRs?

I know you have not used it, but you seems  to have some information. I'm just trying to clarify what I understand you to be saying.. not trying to pin you down with details.

Thanks! FiOS is looking pretty good right about now.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

WAY OT - Yes that is the mighty Hammomd B-3.  Used to play professionally (still have my C-3 and Leslie- same as the B but a different case), now just for my own amusement (or is it amazement?)

Back OT -

Yes, the HD boxes down convert and have S-Video, Composite, and RF outputs for SD TVs (all active simultaneously).

Can't really answer your MR questions as I don't have that option (don't tell anyone but I'm still grandfathered for my DVR at $12.99 / month so I try to make as few changes to my account as possible so they don't "accidentally" up the price on me).

0 Likes
Lets_Go_Mets
Enthusiast - Level 3

Adding my .02 as a long time DirecTv subscriber (over 10 years). Same as you, I've had Verizon for everythng else but TV. Finally, after another price increase last summer, I decided I'd had it with DirecTv. Made the switch to FiOS and am very happy. I had the full package at DirecTv and the full package with FiOS. 3 HD DVRs and a standard receiver. Saved $110/per month with the switch. Turned out, my FiOS internet was a slower package and more expensive than the triple play, so I would up getting 35MB up and down for less than the 10MBdown/2MB up I had.

I just upgraded to the 500GB DVR's,

0 Likes