Copy recordings?
Pahiker1
Contributor - Level 1

I have to replace my DVR, I have an external HD attached. Is there any way to transfer the recordiings from the DVR to the external so as not to lose them?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Copy recordings?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

No there is not. Start watching as many as possible before you get a new DVR.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

No there is not. Start watching as many as possible before you get a new DVR.

0 Likes
Pahiker1
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, that isn't the problem. My daughter uses it as her private DVD collection. About 1/3 of the capacity is her saved recordings. That's why I added the external.

Curiosity, could the external be causing the DVR to respond sluggishly to the remote? Sometimes the DVR responds immediately, other times we have to continually press the remote keys to get it to respond. We have 2 remotes, both behave similarly, so I doubt it is the remotes themselves.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Some TVs when the picture is set to vivid interferes with the remotes IR signal. It could also be that the STB has a bad IR receiver. Just guessing.

0 Likes
Pahiker1
Contributor - Level 1

I doubt it's the TV, same TV for years, the problem just started about a week or so ago.

0 Likes
mcorbo
Contributor - Level 2

Even if you could transfer the recording to the external drive, the drive is paired to that dvr and attaching to another dvr will only cause it to reformat.

Pahiker1
Contributor - Level 1

So, I'm going to lose everything on that drive as well? Man, that sucks. This is the 4th time we've had to replace the d--n thing! Losing the recordings every time, along with scheduled recordings. They need to change suppliers and go with better equipment. I am becoming less and less thrilled with Verizon. If I ever get an option here other than ComedyCast, they're history.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The purpose of the DVR is not intended to be a personal library.

It was to allow you more temporary storage.

There have been comments in the past that the external drive should be associated with an account, not a device.

But as drives have gotten bigger, Verizon has chosen not to even support the external drive in the Quantum boxes.
They are big enough.

BTW, this is no different than if you have a DVR with another provider. If the device dies, you lose everything on it.

Those that may be looking at a cloud type service, it has its own issues (access, bandwidth, what happens if cable is out).

0 Likes
EJRW
Contributor - Level 1

I have DVD player/recorder that I have used to save recordings. Now granted this was done using composite or s-video, so the quality is not the best, but it was a way for me to archive things.

0 Likes
onion2

I have had the same nightmare with Verizon equipment. I've had trouble with phone, dvrs, remotes, routers and internet.

4 dvrs, 3 remotes and a new router in 4 months. It's not that I can't handle losing recordings; it is the fact of losing them every time the wind blows. Their equipment is cheap. I have been a customer for 3 years and have only had problems this last year. Question is.......are other providers really going to be any better?

0 Likes