Copying favorites to other boxes?
bkb3677

Is there a way to copy my favorites from one box, to my other boxes?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Copying favorites to other boxes?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There isn't, but I think it would be a great idea if they enabled the USB port, so that you coudl just put personal settings onto it, and then you could walk over to any of your other boxes and load favorites that way.  or if they built something in that would "copy to all"  or something similiar.    I'll throw it in the idea exchange, and hopefully people will vote for it and add it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There isn't, but I think it would be a great idea if they enabled the USB port, so that you coudl just put personal settings onto it, and then you could walk over to any of your other boxes and load favorites that way.  or if they built something in that would "copy to all"  or something similiar.    I'll throw it in the idea exchange, and hopefully people will vote for it and add it.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

I think I read something recently where they were going to fix this in a future release where you can copy Favorites to other boxes.

prisaz
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

It gets my vote, but I also like Joe's idea. Why we can't just manage favorites online for STB and DVRs. Seems like a simple software update on the web site. Managing DVR favorites is the only thing I see. That needs to change, where parental controls and favorites for DVR and STB can all be managed online.

DMitch2

It would get my vote.  I just spent an hour filtering through the channels I DON'T get that show up on the regular guide, added my favorites, rechecked my list and still had listings that I'm not subscribed to.  What a pain!!!  I'm becoming sorry I left DISH.  They made it so easy!  If you didn't like a channel, you blocked it, and it never showed back up on the guide.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@DMitch wrote:

It would get my vote.  I just spent an hour filtering through the channels I DON'T get that show up on the regular guide, added my favorites, rechecked my list and still had listings that I'm not subscribed to.  What a pain!!!  I'm becoming sorry I left DISH.  They made it so easy!  If you didn't like a channel, you blocked it, and it never showed back up on the guide.

And that is how Favorites works. So I don't understand your comment. Set up your Favorites, set that Favorites list as your default, and unless you choose to, never see those channels again. And if you decide later on to add or delete a channel, just use the Options button and do it, about 3 clicks.

So, what is difficult about using Favorites? Or maybe asking a different way, how are you trying to use Favorites?

Keller, TX 76248

jamesd3rd1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'd like something like that to backup shows when your DVR is getting replaced.  On two occasions I had to have my DVR replaced and had at least 10 different shows still recorded.  Unless they were on On Demand or re-aired, they were lost.  It would be nice to be able to use some sort of 'cloud' service or someother way to store those shows so they are not lost.

The only way to preserve them that I could think of is to play them back and record them on VHS.  But who still uses those things?  And if anyone has tried it, what is the playback quality like?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jamesd3rd wrote:

The only way to preserve them that I could think of is to play them back and record them on VHS.  But who still uses those things?  And if anyone has tried it, what is the playback quality like?

I actually do have a VCR hooked up to my DVR.  If you record at the 2 hour speed the quality is acceptable (at least to me).  HD shows will be letterboxed in the 4:3 format.

If you have a DVD recorder, you can also playback and record the shows there.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I know this thread is a several years old but I thought I'd bump it up because I'm still looking for the feature being discussed.

I just got a new STB and have to go through and manually create a new favorites list.  We have multi-room DVR and it would sure work for me if I could create the favorites list on the DVR box and have that list shared with the rest of our STB's.

If I've missed finding it and this option is already available I will sure appreciate hearing how to use it.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@eljefe wrote:

I know this thread is a several years old but I thought I'd bump it up because I'm still looking for the feature being discussed.

I just got a new STB and have to go through and manually create a new favorites list.  We have multi-room DVR and it would sure work for me if I could create the favorites list on the DVR box and have that list shared with the rest of our STB's.

If I've missed finding it and this option is already available I will sure appreciate hearing how to use it.

That option is available, I have used it.

You may have to search a little for the settings as I think Verizon has restructured the Settings with the new 1.9.5 level of the IMG, which you may or may not have yet. I have 1.9.5, on that level the process is:

On the DVR:

Menu ==> Settings ==> System ==> Save Settings

Then on any STB(s):

Menu ==> Settings ==> System ==> Restore Settings

Note that this process will also transfer your Parental Controls and Guide Preferences (and would transfer your Series Recordings Schedule if you restored it on another DVR). Also note that the settings are saved in the Cloud for only 30 days, and if you have saved settings to the Cloud from more than one STB (or DVR) you are given the choice of which STB's settings to restore. Once you do the restore the STB will reboot.

Again, I have used this procedure to copy my Favories and other settings from my DVR to an HD STB, I just did it again on 1.9.5 to make sure it still worked. And if you have multiple STBs you can easily transfer settings from any HD box to any other HD box (I don't know about SD boxes, don't have any, and all of my HD boxes are current Motorola models).

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)