DCT-700 Set Top Box
Pstreicher
Enthusiast - Level 2
How many channels can you get using one of these? Does anyone have any experience with this box?
0 Likes
Re: DCT-700 Set Top Box
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You get all the channels you are subscribed to. You do not get the Guide, Widgets or Video on Demand.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Telcoguru wrote:
You get all the channels you are subscribed to. You do not get the Guide, Widgets or Video on Demand.

Minor correction - you get all the SD channels you are subscribed to (DCT-700 does not support HD).

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I think the OP knows he is not going to get HD channels on a SD DCT-700 box. Come on now.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Telcoguru wrote:
I think the OP knows he is not going to get HD channels on a SD DCT-700 box. Come on now.

I always make no assumptions - we all know what ASSUME breaks down to Smiley Tongue I would rather assume a newbie and provide more detail than possibly lead someone astray, not meant as a criticism just a clarification.

0 Likes
LaxDad615
Enthusiast - Level 1
I'm really ticked-off that they discontinued the "free" promotion for these boxes without any warning that I saw (maybe I missed it).  They want to charge $3.99 per month - what a rip-off!!!!!!  That's only $2 less than a regular STB.  They should have waited until after February 2009 to cancel the promotion, or realistically never cut it off.  We pay enough for the service as it is, do they need to soak us for another $3.99 per mo?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@LaxDad615 wrote:
I'm really ticked-off that they discontinued the "free" promotion for these boxes without any warning that I saw (maybe I missed it).  They want to charge $3.99 per month - what a rip-off!!!!!!  That's only $2 less than a regular STB.  They should have waited until after February 2009 to cancel the promotion, or realistically never cut it off.  We pay enough for the service as it is, do they need to soak us for another $3.99 per mo?

FWIW:

1) The offer was always for a "limited" time. The letter I received from Verizon clearly stated that it was for a limited time. I suspect all of the web pages about it are now gone, but it was also clear on the website that the offer was for a limited time. The time frame varied by area of the country, because Verizon chose to implemete the removal of analog channels in different areas at different times. Here is a link to one thread at dslreports.com that discusses the offer and mentions the limitied time: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20002608-Got-the-Call-and-the-Letter

2) The offer had nothing to do with the Feb. 2009 cutoff of analog over-the-air broadcast TV, it had to do with Verizon's plans to eliminate the analog channels on FiOS to free up bandwidth to add additional digital (SD and HD) channels.

3) A few areas of the country never had the analog channels at all, so as far as I know the offer was never available in those areas.

The net is, if you were already a FiOS TV customer, shortly before your area was scheduled to have all of the analog channels removed, you received a letter from Verizon with the free offer, available to you for a limited period of time, after which they would not be free. That was the offer, nothing else (at least that I know of).

I hope the above info at least helps a little in understanding why they want $$$'s now for the DCT700.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.6.0, Build 06.89
Keller, TX

0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

Justin is correct.  The offer was for a limited time.  We actually kept the promotion going long after all of the areas had gone through the migration.  Sorry you missed out on the promotion LaxDad615. 

TS

0 Likes
Pstreicher
Enthusiast - Level 2

You say that one would get all the channels subscribed to, not HD of course. Okay. For some reason I'm only getting channels under channel 49 and most are void of anything at all. I guess I'm subscribed to the basic service, I can't remember so I'll have to see if I have a current bill in my stack here.

There's not much to watch on this thing with what I've got though. I mostly enjoy the PBS channel with it's specials and documentarys. BBC News shows up on another educational channel too which I like a lot. I don't miss the guide or any widgets. Most times I have the tube on when I'm doing work on the pc and I occasionally glance up to see what is on. I usually have the sound muted too. Thanks to all for the info. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Do you have any other STBs in the house?  If so, do they get other channels that the DCT-700 is not receiving?  If so then you need to get Verizon to re-enable the box as it should get all the channels you are subscribed to (including premium movie channels) with the exception of any HD channels.
0 Likes