DCT700 Set top box
srmiller1900

I currently rent 3 DCT700 set top boxes.  I have more than purchased them with the rent I have paid for 4 years.  Recently I found the same box at Amazon.  If I purchase the box, will it work on my Verizon network?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DCT700 Set top box
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking with other customers here.

Each set top box has a unique address.  The box must be authorized in the Verizon database before it will work.  I've not heard of Verizon allowing customer purchased STBs on their network.  If you do get your own box, you'll have to call Verizon to attempt to activate it.

In addition, the DCT700 uses a battery backed key for security.  If the battery has gone dead, the box is now a brick.  It cannot be recovered.

There are different DCT700 models for various cable providers and they may not be interchangeable.

When you rent a box, you also get support and free replacements should you ever have issues with it.

Note that boxes like TiVO can be used, but they require a CableCard which is rented from Verizon.  The cable card has the security keys in it just like the DCT-700.

Bottom line, I wouldn't buy one.

If you want to hear what Verizon has to say, you'll have to reach out to them.  Click here:

Contact Us

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: DCT700 Set top box
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking with other customers here.

Each set top box has a unique address.  The box must be authorized in the Verizon database before it will work.  I've not heard of Verizon allowing customer purchased STBs on their network.  If you do get your own box, you'll have to call Verizon to attempt to activate it.

In addition, the DCT700 uses a battery backed key for security.  If the battery has gone dead, the box is now a brick.  It cannot be recovered.

There are different DCT700 models for various cable providers and they may not be interchangeable.

When you rent a box, you also get support and free replacements should you ever have issues with it.

Note that boxes like TiVO can be used, but they require a CableCard which is rented from Verizon.  The cable card has the security keys in it just like the DCT-700.

Bottom line, I wouldn't buy one.

If you want to hear what Verizon has to say, you'll have to reach out to them.  Click here:

Contact Us

Good Luck.

0 Likes