DIY Install of 4th Cable Box/Coax/Splitter
mjwmjwmjw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a DiY install option for a 4th cable box? I need a Cable Box, Remote, Coaxial cable and a new splitter.

Currently I have a 3 way splitter (-3.5db, -7.4db, -7.4db) with another 2-way splitter cascaded for 4 devices (1 router, 1 DVR, 2 STBs). Should a cascade a 2nd 2way or replace 3way with 4 way splitter?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DIY Install of 4th Cable Box/Coax/Splitter
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@mjwmjwmjw wrote:

@CRobGauth wrote:

Yes. You can order a new STB and they will ship it to you or you canjust go pick it up if there is a Verizon FIOS store nearby.

You have a total of 5 devices.

So I would replace the 3 port with a 4 port. Then add the 2 port for the devices that are closest to the splitter (shorter cable runs mean less loss). Ideally it is not the router so every STB gets best signal from router.

Will Verizon ship coax cable and 4 way splitter with the STB?

When you order a new STB online or over the phone, you can have it shipped to your home (with shipping charge) or you can choose store pick-up to avoid the shipping charge.

If you are picking up the STB from a local Verizon FiOS store, the stores (if they have accessories in stock) provide component cable (for HD), a remote and coax cable for free if you are adding/picking up a new STB.  Some stores could have splitters set aside (you need to ask if they have any for free).  The other accessories are for sale (HDMI, IR extenders, etc.).

If a set top box is being shipped to you, a coax cable, component cable and remote are normally included with your new STB.

You can also order other accessories online (another coax, splitter, etc.) via verizon.com/fiosaccessories to be sent to you if you need additional items. Note the price and shipping charges online so you can compare them with the pricing if you purchase these at a local electronics store.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. You can order a new STB and they will ship it to you or you canjust go pick it up if there is a Verizon FIOS store nearby.

So I would replace the 3 port with a 4 port. Then add the 2 port for the devices that are closest to the splitter (shorter cable runs mean less loss). Ideally it is not the router so every STB gets best signal from router.

mjwmjwmjw
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauth wrote:

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope. They only ship STB, remote and cables to connect STB to TV.

But you cvan pick them up at any big box hardware store or electronics store.

Just amke sure the splitter shows range to 1GHz.

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@mjwmjwmjw wrote:

@CRobGauth wrote:

When you order a new STB online or over the phone, you can have it shipped to your home (with shipping charge) or you can choose store pick-up to avoid the shipping charge.

If you are picking up the STB from a local Verizon FiOS store, the stores (if they have accessories in stock) provide component cable (for HD), a remote and coax cable for free if you are adding/picking up a new STB.  Some stores could have splitters set aside (you need to ask if they have any for free).  The other accessories are for sale (HDMI, IR extenders, etc.).

If a set top box is being shipped to you, a coax cable, component cable and remote are normally included with your new STB.

You can also order other accessories online (another coax, splitter, etc.) via verizon.com/fiosaccessories to be sent to you if you need additional items. Note the price and shipping charges online so you can compare them with the pricing if you purchase these at a local electronics store.

mjwmjwmjw
Enthusiast - Level 2
Verizon seems to use PDI splitters so I presume I should try to get that brand?

@22Becca22 wrote:

@mjwmjwmjw wrote:

@CRobGauth wrote:

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The rating is important, moreso than the brand.     If you can find a good deal on a PDI that is rated 5-1000 mhz then I would say go for it. 

Splitters are common and really inexpensive.  I would personally just buy whatever brand they had at monoprice as long as it was rated properly. 

0 Likes