DSL with FIOS TV
lensam
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hello, I'm thinking of maybe getting FIOS TV and would like to know if I could keep my DSL service if I order just the FIOS TV service by itself? Thanks a lot, Len.
0 Likes
Re: DSL with FIOS TV
prisaz
Legend

@lensam wrote:
Hello, I'm thinking of maybe getting FIOS TV and would like to know if I could keep my DSL service if I order just the FIOS TV service by itself? Thanks a lot, Len.

Don't think so. I am not even sure if they offer TV service without Internet. Interesting question. FIOS TV uses IP for some of it's functions. Such as Video On Demand, Channel Guide, and Widgets.  Verizon FIOS when it first started wanted to cut the copper. But I think they ran into issues with the public utilities people. So now they are just disconneting it. I have read that when FIOS is installed it is almost if not imposible to keep or get DSL reinstalled if you are not happy. But since going from DSL 1.5mbps to FIOS 15mbps, I have not looked back.

I did at one time have 768 SDSL over a dedicated pair from a third party. Only when Verizon said I was to far and would not provision DSL on the voice line. That was about $90 a month with 4 static IPs from Covad.

Message Edited by prisaz on 01-30-2009 04:18 AM
0 Likes
romanom
Enthusiast - Level 2
 Yes you can, I have it at my house.  Actually I order on FIOS TV and it's no problem, however, the Media Manager does not work, so you lose that feature without FIOS internet.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

lensam wrote:

prisaz wrote:

Don't think so. I am not even sure if they offer TV service without Internet. Interesting question. FIOS TV uses IP for some of it's functions. Such as Video On Demand, Channel Guide, and Widgets.  

I have read that when FIOS is installed it is almost if not imposible to keep or get DSL reinstalled if you are not happy. But since going from DSL 1.5mbps to FIOS 15mbps, I have not looked back.

Hi Len,

I have done installations where the customer ordered FioS Television only.  But as prisaz mentioned we still installed a router in the house which provides the ip address to the set top boxes and other feathres.  This router however does not give the customer internet access in this instance.  You will be able to keep your Dsl... I would ask...why would you want to?

If your not happy with the service, we can roll it back to what you had.  However; our goal is to eventually eliminate the copper all together down the road.  The Fiber to the Home is more stable, highly expandable (other services)  and overall, cost less to maintain.

Message Edited by Provider7 on 01-30-2009 08:34 AM
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Provider7 wrote:

Hi Len,

...  You will be able to keep your Dsl... I would ask...why would you want to? ...

Not to presume the OP's reason, but cost could certainly be one.  My 88 year old mom (who does nothing but email and a minimal amount of web surfing) doesn't need FiOS speeds - she's perfectly happy with 768 k AND she doesn't need to spend the $20+ a month over her DSL costs (being on fixed income is a bear).

Just another perspective.

lensam
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for everybody's help. Yes, the reason is cost. I signed up for Verizon DSL at $14.99 with a price for life. The DSL is probably slower than most of these other speeds but it's better than the dial-up that I used to have. Also, I've never had any problems with my Verizon DSL or phone service as far as performance or billing is concerned in the past. From some of the things that I've read I'm kind of concerned about making this leap. I have to make a choice between FIOS or cable because I'm moving to a place that doesn't allow Directv.Smiley Sad

0 Likes
McCleud
Enthusiast - Level 3

Although the quality of the picture is decent except for when it's NOT, such as pixelated streams and blobs coming out of nowhere, FIOS TV has a number of issues as noted in a variety of threads across the site. They are essentially charging prices equivalent to a 'mature' service, i.e a robust service with high stability and features, without actually providing such a service due to the sub-standard features, performance and glitches when compared to actual mature offerings from other providers. And if you're interested in the DVR what I've just said is magnified. They provide a large number of external ports on the DVR that would make one think "This'll be great I can expand it and interface a number of other devices to/from it" but that is not true. Everything is disabled/inoperable and they refuse to make it a priority to fix nor even discuss a real time-line to address them.

And new glitches happen ALL the time with the Verizon equipment. Some, including myself, are now experiencing wonderful behavior such as watching a recorded show and at a given spot within the recording the box will reboot and remain powered off as though something within the firmware was triggered by data in the recording at a specific time within it and boom shuts down. For the price we pay, it is reasonable to expect far better service. But that's not the case so be warned and good luck..

I've been a customer for awhile now and have tried to give them time to make it better. But it seems to be getting worse instead, forcing me to start preparing to replace the useless equipment provided by Verizon with a real DVR that focuses on providing as many features as possible to the customer.

-Another unhappy customer

lensam
Enthusiast - Level 2
How much does this pixelation behavior occur? I'm only going to get FIOS on a standard definition TV with no DVR. Will this less complex setup help me avoid these behaviors? Is there a way to avoid a contract because I don't know if I want to get locked in with these sorts of headaches.Smiley Wink
0 Likes
McCleud
Enthusiast - Level 3

Some see it more than others and some have had it fixed by having outside splitter / equip changes. We see it just enough to be annoying now and then in small quantities. It is a minor negative in the overall bucket of negatives I and others experience. If you have no intention of trying their DVR (good choice. real piece of trash) then you'll be spared that side of the headache and may wind up fully satisfied, as long as you've not used other system guides and features. If you haven't then you may be happy. If you have then you'll probably be wondering why Verizons implementation of these common things are so badly done. Hate being negative, but that's all I'm left with. Was SO looking forward to the service when I had it installed. But the problems started immedaitely for us. Within 12 hours the entire network had gone out, but we didn't know it of course. I went off to work at 6am. When I got home that evening I come to find out the entire thing had been down all day. I had the cell phone with me and our home phone is an IP phone, so my wife had no way of contacting me, Verizon or anyone else about that or any issue. My network had been -flawless and perfect 24/7- before FIOS TV. Within 12 hours that was no longer the case. I can list a stupidly large amount of problems we've experienced but that would simply duplicate a bunch since there are threads all over the board from people that have experienced them in 1 form or another.

Anyway, there are some that enjoy the service and do not experience the issues nor care about inferior equipment and bad software / features. They are happy and that's great for them. But, we're not in that group. The only reason I still have it is the variety of channels and content. It is posible to stop using the garbage equipment that Verizon ships and use Tivo (and other) hardware, providing MUCH much better guides, features (especially network and DVR) and software stability while retaining the content. The only thing that'll go away is the VOD, which I don't actually care about in the slightest so once I get everything ready, throw the Verizon DVR back into their lap (or into the street) and replace it with real equipment I'll be good to go.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@McCleud wrote:

Hate being negative, but that's all I'm left with. Was SO looking forward to the service when I had it installed. But the problems started immedaitely for us. Within 12 hours the entire network had gone out, but we didn't know it of course.

Anyway, there are some that enjoy the service and do not experience the issues nor care about inferior equipment and bad software / features. They are happy and that's great for them. But, we're not in that group.

His question was about keeping his Dsl, How does your response help him make this decision?  After reading all your frustrated post in this forum and your experiences, I see there is a common theme. You really don't "Hate being negative."   I can understand it...especially if  there is an issue with the equipment or your service.  Let's get it fixed, that's what you pay for.

0 Likes