DVR Bug - Records Full Program, but Abruptly Ends Playback During Viewing
MHarden1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

We have the Home Media DVR running the 1.9 firmware and have had an eSATA hard disk attached for a few months.  After we started noticing the bug I'm going to describe, I disconnected the hard disk and the DVR successfully restarted without the use of the drive - it started recording programs to the internal disk again.

Over the last few months we've played back recorded programs that show in their information and their progress bar a program length that indicates that the DVR recorded the entire duration of a show.  However, during playback, somewhere in the middle of the recording, the DVR exits the program and prompts as if it reached the end of the recording.  When we start playing the program again, we can FF through the point that we experienced a cutoff, but then when we try to go back to normal speed, the program exits again.  We can't figure out how to watch the complete recording.

We've observed this with programs recorded to both and external drive and, this evening, with one recorded to the internal drive.  The last two instances I've observed have been with standard-def programming, but we may have seen with HD programs as well.  However, based on the last two observations, I believe I'm seeing a pattern.  The recordings that exhibited this bug were being recorded at the time we used the DVR to play back other programming.  The point that the recording exits may actually correspond to the time at which we started using the DVR during the recording of the program.  This seems like something that Verizon should be able to easily test and verify.

Right now I'm running the Set-Top Box Auto-Correct function, but I'm posting this detailed account to see if others have experienced this bug and to see if Verizon can attempt to replicate and fix the issue.

0 Likes
Re: DVR Bug - Records Full Program, but Abruptly Ends Playback During Viewing
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Please send me a private message if the auto correction did not fix this. It might not effect the existing flawed recordings, but if new recordings are doing the same please let me know. In that case, we would want to reprogram your DVR.

0 Likes
cawall
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have his same problem. I do not have a drive attached and I know it's not from watching another show as so far this week I have had 3 which were recorded while I was on vacation and no one was home. It happened one time a few months ago and now I have the 3 so far but many more recordings to watch. It's very annoying. I have auto fixed and restarted.
0 Likes
egosh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having this issue as well. I also noticed it seems to happen to recorded shows that are being recorded while other ones are being watched. I have reset the box (I think) through the automated wizard, which seems to focus on no picture/ no sound issues. 

I have also manually reset the box by just unplugging it. I must say that many answers here are "send me a private message and I can help" This is hardly the sort of help one expects to find on a discussion board. If there is an answer, why can't it be shared? 

by the way, my box is a QIP 7232 2

0 Likes
cawall
Enthusiast - Level 3
I just got off the phone with tech support a hour go. They re-initialized the box to reset the firmware. Told me I would lose my scheduled recordings but I did not. He said maybe that changed with 1.9. I was able to restore a deleted program that was cut off and fast forward all the way through so hopefully that fixed it.
0 Likes
kayla2454

Yes I'm having this problem also. I'll be fast-forwarding through a show and when I push play it ends it and I have to start over from the beginning. It's extremely frustrating. I'd like to know how this can be fixed.

0 Likes
mcgplace
We too are having the same issue. Daughter exclaimed tonight that FIOS is XXX as another show jumped to live TV when she hit play. FF sometimes does the same thing. She wants Optimum back. FIOS people - acknowledge the bug and help us out with a solution please.
0 Likes
rbenjamin

I am having the same problem ever since the upgrade to 1.9.

- Lots of random resets

- Some programs do not fully record

- When watching some programs they just end abruptly even when fully recorded

- many programs are broken into multiple recordings

- autofix results in an error message

0 Likes
cawall
Enthusiast - Level 3
See my previous post. I have not seen this problem since the reset was done.
0 Likes
Notquitered
Tons of people me included having this problem. Suspect the UPGRADE causing this abd they have yet to figure out how to fix it.
0 Likes