DVR Conflicts and re-airings
JeffDB

I have my Sunday night recordings set up so that network shows that only air once are higher priority than shows on HBO, Showtime, AMC, etc. that air multiple times throughout the evening (and later in the week). Currently, I have Family Guy, The Good Wife, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland and The Affair.

But I can't seem to get the right combination of settings for the later airings of the other shows to record, unless I select Yes to record duplicates, but when I do that it records EVERY airing of the show throughout the week. (Is there a reason anyone would use this setting?) Logically I would expect that the DVR would record the first airing of each episode that it could record based on the priority list. But it seems to be either never record if there is a conflict the first airing, or record every airing.

Is there a way to set it up to work in a way that makes sense?

0 Likes
Re: DVR Conflicts and re-airings
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of options:

1) Change the Premium channels to record the later viewing (ie use the west coast feed if available or find when it runs later in the week). May have to set allow repeats but not duplicates.

2) Might be a little better than what yo have to enable first run/repeats but not duplicates. Would record when show comes on, but if you don't delete the episode, it won't record it again.

3) Add more tuners - Either add a second DVR or upgrade to Quantum.

0 Likes
Re: DVR Conflicts and re-airings
JeffDB

Thanks.

#1 seems to be my best option. I'm not sure if I understand #2 completely - I have tried it with first run and repeats but not duplicates, but it won't record a later airing if conflicts prevented the first one from being recorded (unless I enable duplicates).

I've been calling but they keep telling me that Quantum isn't available where I live yet, despite the constant emails they send me telling me to call to upgrade. I've thought about swapping out my second box for a DVR, but it's annoying that I'd have to pay extra to record shows when it should be recording these automatically. It still doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't automatically keep trying to record each airing, but apparently that's just how it works with these DVRs.

0 Likes