DVR Documentation?
zurvan2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am looking for basic usage documentation for the DVR functions, and can't find them. There are lots of features described in the manual for the set top box, (like live tv) but I've had no luck finding them in any of the documentation on the support site. Am I missing something really basic? Is there some PDF link that I don't have?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: DVR Documentation?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Press the menu button on the remote and go to help. Move to help videos and to DVR. Now you can watch a video on the DVR functions.
0 Likes
zurvan2
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK, I looked at those videos, but they are mostly useless. And they aren't useful at all for reference, like while actually *doing* the things described.

They also don't answer my questions:

How do I skip back to the beginning of a recording? (especially live tv to the point where the recording started?)

How do I "Simultaneously Watch Two Programs"?

Just watching a show records it .... until when? until I change the station? no matter what?  When do they get deleted?

If I press record when watching a show, how long is it kept? 

Again, am I missing some pdf somewhere?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Did the tech who installed your service give you the Fios TV booklet when the job was finished?
0 Likes
zurvan2
Enthusiast - Level 1

No... We did get booklets for the remote controls, but that's it.

I don't want to say bad things about the tech, though... he was very professional and thorough in for everything else!

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@zurvan2 wrote:

OK, I looked at those videos, but they are mostly useless. And they aren't useful at all for reference, like while actually *doing* the things described.

They also don't answer my questions:

How do I skip back to the beginning of a recording? (especially live tv to the point where the recording started?)

How do I "Simultaneously Watch Two Programs"?

Just watching a show records it .... Until when? Until I change the station? no matter what?  When do they get deleted?

If I press record when watching a show, how long is it kept? 

Again, am I missing some pdf somewhere?

1 - At present the only way to get back to the beginning on a "live" recording is using rewind (3 speeds available).

2 - AFAIK you can't watch 2 programs simultaneously.  You can record 2 and watch a recorded show at the same time but that is the about it.

3 - The DVR buffers the last 1 hour of a tuned channel.  There are dual buffers so just changing the channel does not necessarily stop the recording as it will buffer both channels.  However if you are recording something changing channels will cause the buffer to reset to the new channel.

4 - The recording will be kept until you delete it or the DVR determines that it needs more space (just like any recording).  If you press the record button after the show has started AND you had been tuned to the channel it will record from the beginning of the buffer (up to 1 hour prior to when you pressed record).

Hope the answers above help.  Most of that has been found by playing with the DVR and from other site's forum postings. 

0 Likes
zurvan2
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Keyboards wrote:
1 - At present the only way to get back to the beginning on a "live" recording is using rewind (3 speeds available).
That sucks. This seems really basic.  
 2 - AFAIK you can't watch 2 programs simultaneously.  You can record 2 and watch a recorded show at the same time but that is the about it.
Given your answer to 3 (which seems right) maybe all they mean is using "last" to swap between two channels that are being buffered. Not bad.
Related question, though: Can you leave one channel paused while watching something else (waiting for more to buffer)? 

3 - The DVR buffers the last 1 hour of a tuned channel.  There are dual buffers so just changing the channel does not necessarily stop the recording as it will buffer both channels.  However if you are recording something changing channels will cause the buffer to reset to the new channel.

4 - The recording will be kept until you delete it or the DVR determines that it needs more space (just like any recording).  If you press the record button after the show has started AND you had been tuned to the channel it will record from the beginning of the buffer (up to 1 hour prior to when you pressed record).

Makes sense. Still would be good to see this stuff in writing somewhere... 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@zurvan2 wrote:

Related question, though: Can you leave one channel paused while watching something else (waiting for more to buffer)? 

Makes sense. Still would be good to see this stuff in writing somewhere... 

Thanks!

Nope, as soon as you switch tuners it will return to live on the channel not being viewed.  Bummer, but it is what it is - maybe in yet another update to the system, but not now.

Agreed, a lot of what I learned was trial and error and from peoples posts on various forums.

0 Likes
GSnicker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here are the user guides online, see if this link helps:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Receivers/User%20Guides/User%20Guides.htm 

0 Likes
zurvan2
Enthusiast - Level 1
I've seen those guides. They prompted the question in the first place. Unless I've majorly missed something in them, they *mention* the features above, but say nothing about *how* to use them.
0 Likes