DVR Questions from a current DTV customer
swollengoat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have DirecTV but have Verizon phone & internet, was looking to bundle to save $$ plus the weather related outages to DTV in my area are really bad this year.

My biggest concern is the DVR functionality, if anyone can help answer these questions, I would very much appreciate it!

1. Can you watch a show and record at the same time on the same tv?

2. Can you set up a 'season pass' to record an entire season?

3. If you can make a season pass, can you set priorities, so one takes precedence over another for recording?

4. If you can make a season pass, is there a limit to the number of season passes you can make?

5. Can you search for shows by keyword?

6. Does verizon offer anything larger than the 80 hour SD recorder? I've seen hints of a larger DVR but don't see anything concrete. 

thank you very much..

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DVR Questions from a current DTV customer
Justin46
Legend
My responses are imbeded.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
@swollengoat wrote:

I currently have DirecTV but have Verizon phone & internet, was looking to bundle to save $$ plus the weather related outages to DTV in my area are really bad this year.

My biggest concern is the DVR functionality, if anyone can help answer these questions, I would very much appreciate it!

Yes. You can watch one channel and record another, you can record two channels and watch one of them, or you can record two and watch a previously recorded program.

You can set the DVR to record a series. If that equates to a "season pass" then yes. If not, no. (no experience with DirecTV)

3. If you can make a season pass, can you set priorities, so one takes precedence over another for recording?

?

4. If you can make a season pass, is there a limit to the number of season passes you can make?

If recording a series is the same thing, no limit, at least that I know of.

Yes

6. Does verizon offer anything larger than the 80 hour SD recorder? I've seen hints of a larger DVR but don't see anything concrete. 

Verizon does not currently offer an SD DVR. For a brief period of time they did, quite a while ago, when there was a shortage of HD DVRs. If you order FiOS today, you will get one of 3 DVRs, all are HD (and SD) capable, two have 160GB hard drives, one, the newest, has a 500GB hard drive. 

thank you very much..

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Jburgos81
Enthusiast - Level 1

1. yes, watch one show while recording another

2. yes, "record series"

3. yes

4.  what do you mean about a limit? you can set any show to "record series" 

5. yes, 

6. there's a 7232 dvr, depending on where you live, holds 500GB 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend
My responses are imbeded.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
@swollengoat wrote:

Yes. You can watch one channel and record another, you can record two channels and watch one of them, or you can record two and watch a previously recorded program.

You can set the DVR to record a series. If that equates to a "season pass" then yes. If not, no. (no experience with DirecTV)

?

If recording a series is the same thing, no limit, at least that I know of.

Yes

Verizon does not currently offer an SD DVR. For a brief period of time they did, quite a while ago, when there was a shortage of HD DVRs. If you order FiOS today, you will get one of 3 DVRs, all are HD (and SD) capable, two have 160GB hard drives, one, the newest, has a 500GB hard drive. 

thank you very much..

Keller, TX 76248

doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

Regarding number 6, we are a new customer with the 7232, it holds between 60 - 80 hrs of HD, or so it claims.  In the next few months the software will update and you can plug in an external drive, up to 2TB, that hopefully is enough storage for you.  I just switched from Dish, and what also helps with recording and storage is the Video On Demand, depending on your habits you don't have to record everything.  But if you like any ABC or NBC programming be warned you cannot fast forward their OnDemand shows.  If there isn't any conflicts we record them so we can skip the ads. 

We had a DVR on every set with Dish, but have adapted to the whole house DVR and OnDemand, and really like it.  We had DTV in the past also, FIOS has the best picture, best price and more features than the sat services.  If you want to pay for them you can get more DVRs, but we make the 1 work just fine.  On the remote STBs you can't pause live TV unless your pulling a a show from the DVR, of course.  We got used to it. 

0 Likes
swollengoat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to everyone for the replies, they were a huge help. 

0 Likes