DVR Recording Too Many Episodes
tomryn
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have shows set to keep 1 or 2 episodes and they are saving as many as 20+ episodes each.
0 Likes
Re: DVR Recording Too Many Episodes
tns
Master - Level 2

Been discussed before.  IT doesn't actually restrict the number of recordings made.  It influences how many are deleted when space is needed.

0 Likes
tomryn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well that sounds like a bug to me.   Smiley Indifferent  

In the Comcast setup, if I told it to save three of this show and four of this one, that is exactly what it would do.  Why would I want my DVR space to be at 100% all the time and then delete things as it needs space?  If I only watch a certain show once in a while, why would I want the space cluttered with 50 episodes of it?

I am a software engineer, and this sounds like a case of trying to turn a bug into a "feature".

Not so thrilled with Fios so far.  Smiley Frustrated

0 Likes
tomryn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, the more I think about this... So if the priority of show 'A' is higer than 'B' and I tell it to record two shows of 'A' and it has two 'A' shows already, the 'B' show comes on at the same time, but it won't record 'B' because it is still busy recording every episode of 'A' even though I told it to only record two shows?

This would explain why none of my other shows are getting recorded.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

They actually do restrict the number of copies being kept. Are you saying you have a single show set to record and your DVR is keeping as many as 20 of that same show? Never seen that happen. I have multiple series, each with a limit to the number of shows. My DVR is busy at the moment, so I can't really check. Is there an option to save until you delete? If so, is that set?

0 Likes
rogisboss

on comast there is no option to just save a number of shows.  It s new, new and repeats or all thats it.  It might have worked that way in the SA cisco area but not after the new software update and never for motorola

0 Likes
rogisboss

0 Likes
tomryn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Comcast did have the same options that Fios does.  If I told it "number of episodes" = 3 it would save three.  It also (like Fios) had "New + repeats" or "New episodes only".

Yes, I have it set to save # episodes and it is saving every one that comes on.  Most are set to "Save until I delete" because I don't want it to keep recording new ones until I watch them because there is less chance for contention.  Some I have set to "Until Space is Needed" for things like the daily news.  It doesn't matter what the options are set to, it is recording every episode, and it is not getting past the first few items in the priority list because it keeps recording every episode of the ones at the top of the list.

On Comcast, if I set it to save one episode / until space is needed (for things like the 10pm news) it would record one episode of the news and replace that episode every day with the new one.  If I told it to record three episodes of something else / until I delete, it would record three episodes and wouldn't record another one of that episode until I deleted one of them.

This doesn't seem right.  It is recording every episode that comes on in order of priority, so only the first few items at the top of the list keep getting recorder.  "Oddities" on Science channel had a marathon, I told it to record 3 episodes, and it got up to 25 before I started deleting them.

0 Likes