DVR Upgrade advice needed in Plano TX area
antvinman

After browsing the forum I've found 5 or 6 places I could ask pieces of this question, but thought it would be best for me to just ask it all in one thread.

I currently have a QIP6416 but I want to get ready for external hdd expansion when 1.9 hits.  So far I've called VZ and the rep had no info on models, he could just order a dvr or std stb with no model specifics.  Today I stopped at the Garland store and was told that the only available upgrade for me would be to an mrdvr for $20/mo.

I only have one TV but we watch it ALOT (hey gotta watch the Rangers win every game, right?).  I have no need for an mrdvr or any multiroom setup at this time.  What I do want is the best, most spacious and advanced dvr I can get from VZ.  I assume I should be looking for a move to a 7232.  I read that I should click on the upgrade link to "get in line" so I did that today.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I have to pay the mrdvr upcharge to get to the next model that is ext hdd capable?

2. I've read in various forums that I might be able to exchange my dvr for a new unit at a local store with no fee.  I'd prefer this        option if its available.  Has anybody in DFW done this?  Where?

3. What is the max size on the ext hdd that will be able to be added to a newer dvr once 1.9 is avail?

4. Will the ext hdd need to have self-power or will the dvr power it?

5. If say I get a 7232 which I believe has a 500gb hdd capacity and add say a 1TB ext hdd, will the unit then have 1.5TB total space or will the unit assume only the space of the ext hdd with 1TB of total space?

I appreciate your answers from experience.

0 Likes
Re: DVR Upgrade advice needed in Plano TX area
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Antvinman I'm gonna answer some of the questions here

1. Do I have to pay the mrdvr upcharge to get to the next model that is ext hdd capable?

Answer: you can just add an additional DVR to the account and just go pick it up and if you don't want the other DVR just call in to have an order to return it to the store. That part is up to you.

2.  I've read in various forums that I might be able to exchange my dvr for a new unit at a local store with no fee.  I'd prefer this option if its available.  Has anybody in DFW done this?  Where?

Answer:  Please see answer 1 🙂

3. What is the max size on the ext hdd that will be able to be added to a newer dvr once 1.9 is avail?

Answer: This info will be available upon release of 1.9 as well as compatible External HD's that will work.

4. Will the ext hdd need to have self-power or will the dvr power it?

Answer: Most external HD's require a power cord to plug in I'm not sure how Internal HD's will work but I'm not sure on the internals and if they are gonna be compatible.

5.  If say I get a 7232 which I believe has a 500gb hdd capacity and add say a 1TB ext hdd, will the unit then have 1.5TB total space or will the unit assume only the space of the ext hdd with 1TB of total space?

Answer: Total space should be equal to what your allowed and what is compatible so hypotheticall if we allow 1 TB then you should read 1.5TB

Hopefully this sheds some light on some of your questions

0 Likes
antvinman

@Techman28 wrote:

Answer: you can just add an additional DVR to the account and just go pick it up and if you don't want the other DVR just call in to have an order to return it to the store. That part is up to you.

I'll rephrase:  Is the 7232 a mrdvr only or can it be a standalone? I'm trying to verify what the store rep told me.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@antvinman wrote:

@Techman28 wrote:

I'll rephrase:  Is the 7232 a mrdvr only or can it be a standalone? I'm trying to verify what the store rep told me.

It most certainly can be stand-alone. I just received my 7232 day before yesterday to replace a 6416, did not have multi-room on the 6416, decided I want it on the 7232, and so far can't get it. But I apparently now have multi-room on the 6416 that is disconnected and sitting on a chair in the other room Smiley Mad

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

I have three 7232s and none of them are MRDVRs.