Re: DVR box missing presses from remote...
ak46
Enthusiast - Level 3

TM28,

Great to hear that the issue has been recognized and is being looked at!  What does this mean for a fix?  Is it months of waiting for some kind of IMG patch or a hardware swap?  Just want to set expectations....the problem is really driving me crazy.

Thank you...

-ak

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ak wrote:

This has been occuring before and after the 1.6 upgrade.  Thought I would ask if others experience the same thing or maybe I just have bad hardware (a commonplace thing it seems by this board).

On my DVR (with home media option) if I channel surf it often seems to miss button presses from the remote.  The red LED does blink, but the box doesn't change channel, or go to the next screen, or whatever function I just pressed.  I then press it again and it usually works fine.  This doesn't happen with every press, but often enough to be terribly annoying.

On my HD box without DVR it never misses a keypress...works the way you would expect it to.

I have swapped remotes and the problem stays with the DVR.

Is this a normal issue that everyone is dealing with?

Thanks!

-ak

Set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed Smiley Very Happy .  Verizon tends to take a long time to integrate and test fixes before releasing (bugs in V1.5 from January of this year were just fixed in the recent release of V1.6).

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
Seeing as how the issue seems to be with the IR chipset its something we have forwarded off to Motorola.  I do not have a timeframe on that fix at this time. I do know that some things do take time as from Keyboards post we want to make sure everyone has the best experience as possible.
0 Likes
randonee
I'm a new FIOS subscriber and this has been the worst thing about the experience from switching to FIOS TV from DirecTV. I have the QIP-72161. When the installer was setting up my box he couldn't get the remote to respond so he left me a second one and attributed it to the box getting it's initial updates. I had a bad feeling when he left and I was right. I've never used a more frustrating remote in my life. The buttons on the remote always light up, but you can see that the green light to the bottom right of the clock on the STB (that signals the remote link) doesn't always light up. When pressing the buttons on the remote it takes at least 3 - 4 presses on average to get a response and I have had to push a button up to 20 times to get it to work! When you're manually entering channel numbers some times it will stall out and instead of say channel 222 you'll get channel 22. At this rate the remote will only last about a month before it wears out because of the excessive button pushing. This is really a frustrating and horrible bug and I can't believe that this was rolled out to customers. Something this obvious should have been revealed in any reasonable testing program.
Message Edited by randonee on 10-18-2008 12:51 PM
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
It just seems to have started this behavior a few weeks ago. I've had it for almost two years and I can't remember this problem as much as recently.
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

I would have to agree with Matcarl here as I have had the service for almost 3 years now and this has just started happening to me. Verizon has asked Motorola to look at the IR Chip to determine the response time.

AK

It hasn't been determined as to how this issue can fully be resolved so its tough to say.

Message Edited by Techman28 on 10-18-2008 08:44 PM
0 Likes
ak46
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ive only had the service for 3 or 4 weeks and its been doing it since I got it.  So for me this is the normal and it stinks.  I can only hope that if it was broke because of a minor update, it can be fixed with a minor update.

-Andy

0 Likes
spangreen
Enthusiast - Level 2
My kids are always hitting this, trying to change channels (bug #1).   Then when they press too many times, thinking that will help, the STB winds up accepting an illegal channel number and redirects them of all places to channel 1951 (Urge Radio - Adult Content)  (Bug #2 - see my other post on this issue)
0 Likes
NotarySojac
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ah - glad to hear it.

We have has this problem since we got FiOS, but the 1.6 update appears to have reduced the problem for us somewhat.

We were seeing it most often when managing the DVR. Since the default selection in so many menus is DELETE, we had lost many recordings and schedule setups when the DVR suddenly executes all the stored-up button presses, and when you have been repeatedly pressing the OK buton in case the box had not registered the press so it suddenly zips ahead so fast you have no idea what it actually set up or got rid of. We learned patience gairly quickly and when the box decides to act unresponsive we simply sit for a minute or so between presses to be sure it is really not registering instead of just queing them all up.

0 Likes
Remote
Same thing, I am new customer of 2 weeks my Tech came out and swap'd boxes and remotes still the same problem. Sucks to change a channel, Can't view a widget, can't scroll basically I have a TV with a box that does not work to change the channel. Should this keep up I am breaking my contract on Faulty equiptment and telling others to say away from the product. Why get FIOS if I have to get up and walk to change the channel this defeats the purpose.
0 Likes