DVR box missing presses from remote...
ak46
Enthusiast - Level 3

This has been occuring before and after the 1.6 upgrade.  Thought I would ask if others experience the same thing or maybe I just have bad hardware (a commonplace thing it seems by this board).

On my DVR (with home media option) if I channel surf it often seems to miss button presses from the remote.  The red LED does blink, but the box doesn't change channel, or go to the next screen, or whatever function I just pressed.  I then press it again and it usually works fine.  This doesn't happen with every press, but often enough to be terribly annoying.

On my HD box without DVR it never misses a keypress...works the way you would expect it to.

I have swapped remotes and the problem stays with the DVR.

Is this a normal issue that everyone is dealing with?

Thanks!

-ak

0 Likes
Re: DVR box missing presses from remote...
generet
Enthusiast - Level 3
Wether the box is with or without DVR, time delay or non-responsiveness to remote is a known Verizon problem. I don't think it's restricted to what version you may be running, they just need to write a fix to improve remote response. I notice it when I am using the search function and surf titles and scroll - I'll get no response and then 3/4 will quickly occur. Just have to deal with it for now.     
0 Likes
ak46
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply generet.  I need to revise my description of the problem a little.  I was feeling more frustrated with the problem so I moved the box closer to the TV so I could see the red LED that lights up when receiving an IR signal and the TV itself.  Ends up when it misses key presses the LED does NOT light up.  It happens ~ 1 in 8 presses when pushing the button quickly.  (For example, pressing the channel up button repeatedly.)  If I do the same action by using the channel up button on the box itself, it is fast and never misses a keypress.  If I do the same action on my non-DVR box, its fast and never misses a keypress.

Anyone see this issue before?  (If it matters....I have a 6414.)

Thanks

-ak

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
It happens to me quite often too. My wife complained about it the other day also.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

ak,

Yep, ever since I got FiOS TV 3 years ago. For some reason the 6416 DVR is far more sensitive than my 2500 SD STBs to where the remote is aimed. I have moved remotes around just to see if it was the remote, nope, they all work great on the SD boxes, terrible on the DVR. One thing I have found is that if I turn the remote 90 degrees either way, it seems to improve operation, I have no idea why.

I guess I have just learned to live with it. Since my wife has an SD box on her TV, no complaints from that part of the house!

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
ak46
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the replies.....

Kinda sucks to pay more for some very cool tech only to have something so simple be a common problem.  I did try different angles, and also held the remote right up to the window on the front of the box.  No improvment.  It just seems that the box "stops listening" for a moment when you send commands quickly to the box.

Anyone with the newer box (7xxx) have this problem as well?

-ak

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ak wrote:

Thanks for the replies.....

Kinda sucks to pay more for some very cool tech only to have something so simple be a common problem.  I did try different angles, and also held the remote right up to the window on the front of the box.  No improvment.  It just seems that the box "stops listening" for a moment when you send commands quickly to the box.

Anyone with the newer box (7xxx) have this problem as well?

-ak

Probably (and this is conjecture) overflows the IR receive buffer and has to wait to recognize more button pushes.  Supposedly the 72xx series has a faster processor and maybe it will be able to handle the "fast" pushes better - again just conjecture on my part (still using an old 6416-2).

0 Likes
GPGG1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I don't have the 1.6 update but I am experiencing this same issue.  This issue is only with the DVR not the the HD STB
0 Likes
ak46
Enthusiast - Level 3

GPGG...

Happened before and after 1.6 for me.  I only had 1.5 for about 10 days before the update.  I can also confirm that its only on the DVR unit.  The HD box on my other TV works perfectly.

I'm getting close to calling about it.

-ak

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

ok guys we have found the problem and are currently speaking with Motorola regarding this issue

Motorola is testing the IR chip for specification performance.

0 Likes