DVR constantly going out
bstanfordb
Enthusiast - Level 2

It will pop back in for a short period if I unplug it and it goes through that red thing again... but everyday?!?  Not acceptable

Called verizon and went through their stupid automated help and that did nothing, finally said it was going to transfer to a person and I was hung up on.

What are my options here?  Ready to go to Dish or Charter or anything else right about now.

0 Likes
Re: DVR constantly going out
Pwr315
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a similar problem with my DVR.  It sounded like a jet reving up for takeoff, Verizon UPS'd a "refurbished" DVR to me.  DVR worked for one week then screen went completely dark. I rebooted the DVR and the modem prior to calling Verizon.  I navigated through their horrible menu to reach a live agent.  He told me that he would reboot my DVR!  I told him I had done that several times.  He said he could do something different from his end --worked for awhile then screen went dark again.  I called Verrizon again and told agent I wanted a "new" DVR and inquired if I could return the DVR to a Verizon store for new DVR.  Agent tried to discourage that --nearest Verizon store to accomplish this is 20 miles away.  I live in Northern VA where there are numerous Verizon FiOS stores but they have ONE authorized store for this task.  Ason it was Friday night, DVR arrived on following Tuesday (apparently Verizon does not work on weekends.)  One week after I received the second DVR I received a UPS box from Verizon (a Saturday) instructing me to return all equipment or I would be charged hundreds of dollars.  Yup, it was the weekend so had to wait until Monday to straighten out this mess.

Good luck!

bstanfordb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh no.  I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  Especially since it seems like that is the same path that I'm on.  Finally got a person on the phone to run their "special" test and deemed this DVR junk... and now a new DVR is on it's way in the mail.  Here's hoping that this one isn't a lemon like the ones you got and it at least lasts a little while.  Kind of disappointed about losing the content I've saved... maybe I'll swap drives before I send this one back (doesn't seem like that's the issue with it though I could be wrong).

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@bstanfordb wrote:

... maybe I'll swap drives before I send this one back (doesn't seem like that's the issue with it though I could be wrong).

How will you "swap drives?"

0 Likes
bstanfordb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey, I'm from Long Beach too 🙂

Ummmm, not 100% sure how to swap drives, but I've performed the procedure on plenty of different devices, I'm sure I could figure it out.  Undo a few screws here and there and that's it.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@bstanfordb wrote:

Hey, I'm from Long Beach too 🙂

Ummmm, not 100% sure how to swap drives, but I've performed the procedure on plenty of different devices, I'm sure I could figure it out.  Undo a few screws here and there and that's it.

If you're suggesting you're going to open up the STB and change a drive, think twice.  I doubt it will work.  And I suspect tampering with the STB is a violation of the TOS, let alone if you break it you'll buy it.  Just a caution.

0 Likes