Switch Account

DVR freezing with playback

DVR freezing with playback

Highlighted
Copper Contributor robk_11
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(4,595 Views)

My new DVR 72161 seems to freeze when I try and playback recorded programs fairly frequently.  If I unplug it and plug it back in it will "unlock".  I find I can sometimes fast fwd through the part where it freezes and it will play fine, other times not.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it a software issue or a defective set top box?  Any help is appreciated as it is frustrating to not be able to watch shows you recorded.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus
Message 2 of 4
(4,519 Views)

Does the freezing occur only when watching recorded programming?  Is there any "Freezing" while watching live tv or witnessed during the recording time period?

Is the box enclosed in a less than ideal venthilated area? (overheat concerns)

You could check the temperature just to rule that out by going to the Diagnostics Menu.

While box is on push Power -> Select -> Select on STB You may or may not need to power back on just the TV set to view the menu at this time.Scroll to D13 (scroll one page)Max temp is 147 degrees F if below 110 all is well is over 120 provide some better venthilation.

Is the freeze on the DVR itself or another box used in the multi room DVR feature? Thanks

Joe D
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solution Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.Follow us on Twitter™!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor robk_11
Copper Contributor
Message 3 of 4
(4,503 Views)

thanks for the reply.  it did occasionally freeze when we first got it during live tv.  now it is only during dvr playback.  i feel it is in a well ventilated area but i will check the box temp as recommended.

freeze is only on dvr as we don't have the multi-room unit.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III
Message 4 of 4
(4,474 Views)

Have tech support send a reset to the DVR.... watch it after that... if it continues, have tech support send you a new one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Robertson - Lighter Klepto - I steal lighters, not bandwith
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.