DVR locking up when attempting to play certain programs
Karp

I have two DVRs - one in my living room and one in my basement Home Theater.  I have no issues with the one in the basement but I am having a few odd issues with the one in the living room.

When my girlfriend attempts to watch the previously recorded program "I survived" on the Bio channel , it locks up the DVR and requires me to unplug/reboot it in order for it start working again.  This has happened several times with separate recordings of this show.  We have not seen this issue with other recorded programs.

This DVR also seems to react more sluggishly to remote commands than the other unit and has locked up on one or two other occasions.

Has anyone had issues like this before with a particular program?  Should I request a DVR swap?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: DVR locking up when attempting to play certain programs
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

I've had a random lockup every now and then, but nothing consistent.  Perhaps a section of the hard drive in your DVR is going bad and causing it to lock up.  I would certainly call customer support and see if they could send you a replacement.  Only downside is that you will lose whatever you already have recorded.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I have had my QIP 6416 DVR for about 3 1/2 years. Probably 2 1/2 to 3 years ago I had a brief period where three or four programs that I recorded would not play, they hung the DVR and the only way I could get it working again was to unplug it. Repeated attempts to view the recordings always resulted in the same hangup. Eventually I just deleted the recordings that were causing problems, and I have never had the problem again. I have no idea what was wrong, but if you haven't already done so, I suggest you delete the recordings that are causing the problem and not record again the one(s) giving you the problem; I would certainly try this before trying to get a new DVR, if only because you will lose any good recordings already on the DVR that you have not watched.

I don't have any thoughts on the sluggish response of the DVR, I have never experienced that. Sorry.....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Karp

That is the strange thing about it.  I did delete the recording.  On a subsequent recording of the same show (different episode), it did the same thing again. Other shows have no issues. Could the show be tagged incorrectly or something like that?

Other than that, I also have unfrequent random lockups.  No issues with the other box whatsoever.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Strange. I think when I did have the lockup problem, it was on several episodes of the same program, I am not really sure, but based on your experience I guess it could be something unique about how that particular show is transmitted.

You probably have already tried this, but can you record the same episode on both DVRs at the same time and play it successfully on one DVR while it locks up the other? That might prove that it is really not anything to do with the particular show but is related to the DVR.

Another thing you might try if you have not already done so is to swap the DVR locations and try it. It is doubtful that the location has anything to do with it, but then again stranger things have happened.

My guess is that you are eventually going to have to call the FiOS folks and request a replacement.

Keller, TX 76248

Message Edited by Justin on 05-02-2009 10:26 AM
0 Likes