DVR lockup when trying to replay a recorded show.
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

About a week ago, I ran into a problem that both my DVRs stopped recording anything.  A reset by tech support fixed that problem.  Don't know if that problem had anything to do with this, but, this week, my QID-6416-2 has decided to be very selective in what of my recorded shows it will let me watch.  It frequently locks up and won't do anything but stay on the screen it normally goes through when you select a recorded program to watch.  When this happens, I have to do a hard reboot to be able to get out of this lockup.  Other times it will go so far as to show the info bar at the bottom of the screen, but then go to a blank screen and not show the selected program.  When it does this, I can usually get back to live TV (but not always).  This lockup seems to happen more on movies than series.  Also it will sometimes happen on a series or movie, but the next time you try the same program, it will play.  So, it means that the programs locking up actually did record.  Very strange! 

Tech support tried another reset of the box, but that didn't fix it.  So, they're sending me a new DVR.  While I'm assuming that this will probably fix this problem, it means that I'll be losing all of my presently recorded programs (right now about 98% full).  Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix that didn't require a box swap?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DVR lockup when trying to replay a recorded show.
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

Thought I'd let you all know that I Installed the replacement DVR a while ago and the problem's gone!  (Of course along with all my recordings on the old DVR):smileysad:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Don't know if I've heard this specific problem, but I do recall some reports of problems when the DVR gets near full (you said it was at 98% - pretty close to full Smiley Wink ).

You could try reducing the percentage (deleting some recordings Smiley Sad ) used.  Not a solution, more of a troubleshooting idea since you should be able to take it to 100% without any consequences.

0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

Keyboards wrote:

Don't know if I've heard this specific problem, but I do recall some reports of problems when the DVR gets near full (you said it was at 98% - pretty close to full Smiley Wink ).

You could try reducing the percentage (deleting some recordings Smiley Sad ) used.  Not a solution, more of a troubleshooting idea since you should be able to take it to 100% without any consequences.

Thanks for the response Keyboards.  Unfortunately, the problem surfaced when the unit was only 82% full so I don't think that will have any effect.  The replacement unit showed up this morning.  Can't complain about the response time!  Just hate to lose all my recordings.

0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

Thought I'd let you all know that I Installed the replacement DVR a while ago and the problem's gone!  (Of course along with all my recordings on the old DVR):smileysad:

0 Likes