DVR more storage
BenB

This is getting old.  I need more room on my DVR.  20 hours of HD is not enough for a family that watches most programs from the DVR.  What are the plans for adding an external drive to the DVR?

0 Likes
Re: DVR more storage
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

If you have a 7216 or 7232 DVR then the next release of the box firmware (IMG Version 1.9) will enable the eSATA port and allow up to 1 TB of external storage.  If you have a 6416 then you would need to to upgrade to one of the newer DVR models.  The 7232 has a 500 GB drive internally instead of the 160 GB in the 6416 or 7216.

The 1.9 release is currently in beta testing and is not yet ready for prime time.  Some rumors have it rolling out in March of this year, but I would not count on that being a firm time frame.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon recently started making available to customers who put their name on a waiting list an optional upgrade to the newer 7232 DVR's (with the 500gb drive).   So, these are now starting to make their way into the food chain.   (I expect mine to arrive in the next few days as I just responded to their upgrade offer).  There are numerous other reports that new customers are also sometimes seeing the new 7232 device installed as well depending on local availability.

As the previous poster mentioned, once 1.9 hits the streets and comes out of beta, those with the 7xxx series boxes should also be able to add approved external storage devices (I haven't heard if you have to get the drive thru Verizon or if you just need to but one of the approved types of drives -- which is largely driven by a need to insure that the drive can support the necessary thruput and interface speeds).  So, in addition to the 500gb capacity of the 7232, you would then be able to add an option external 1TB (or maybe even larger) to the DVR for even more recording capacity.

0 Likes
BenB

I just signed up.  We will see how long it takes.  Thanks for all the replies.

0 Likes
bosha

where is the place to sign up for upgrade?

0 Likes
BenB

Login to your Verizon account.  Go to MyTV.  Then set top boxes.  On the right there is a link to "Get More" out of your DVR.  Sign up there.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct ... that is where you go to put your name on the waiting list.     I suspect that as they have stock available, they are sending out notes to people who previously put their name on the list starting at the top and working down.

Edit:  Update - I had received the notice about the upgrade offer yesterday morning in my email and responded mid-morning.   My new DVR was sitting in my Living Room when I got home from work tonight.  So, I'd say that's awesome turnaround time once you get notified of availability.

0 Likes
NT7

I have a QIP-7232 P2 with eSATA port below HDMI.  Current firmware is 1.8.  What are the odds VZ will pish 1.9 out to compatible DVR/STBs? I have an eSATA external 750gb hard drive ready to connect.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Magic 8 ball says. "Very likely" but your drive may or may not be compatible. I think it "has to be" 1 tb. Not 100% sure yet
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:
Magic 8 ball says. "Very likely" but your drive may or may not be compatible. I think it "has to be" 1 tb. Not 100% sure yet

Actually, I believe that 1 TB is the MAXIMUM that 1.9 will allow and that there is no minimum.  That being said, the transfer rate of the external drive will be critical to the proper functioning of the external drive, especially in a multi-room configuration where up to 6 HD streams might have to accessed simultaneously.

Verizon is in the process of "certifying" drives that will work - not to imply that others won't work.

0 Likes