DVR recording issues
LTrotter
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ever since we had Verizon FiOs installed on April 28, we have had issues with our DVR. Most of the time, the recording is fine. Every once in a while, however, we'll get a recording that will stop playing way before it's supposed to, usually about three to five minutes into the program. At that point, the recording stops and takes me back to the DVR menu as though it had completely finished. It says that it has the whole program (it gives the correct length), but it stops after just a few minutes. It does the same thing when I try to fast-forward or skip forward; I cannot go past the point at which it stops. It's like it thinks it's the end of the recording!

There doesn't seem to be any connection between this issue and the channel that is being recorded. It has done this with programs from ABC, CBS, FOX, TCM, and Showtime, among others. It also doesn't matter if it's HD or SD -- it does it for both. Time of day seems to be irrevelant, as well, though I think most of them have been from the primetime hours (7-10pm). Running time is also irrelevant; it's happened with half-hour shows, hour-long shows, and movies. It also does not matter which room I try to play it in, nor does it matter how much space is left on the DVR (currently about 50%; still does it.)

That's not all, though. Twice now we've gotten a recording which not only stopped early -- it froze everything! We couldn't stop, rewind, nothing. I finally had to turn the set-top box off, but that didn't work, either - the sceen went black (the Verizon screen saver did not appear like it's supposed to), and I couldn't turn the box back on. The first time it happened the info for the program remained on the screen even after I turned off the box. Both times, I had to unplug the stb and plug it back in to get it to work.

Right now, we're just hoping our shows record, not knowing which ones will screw up and which ones won't. I've been fast-forwarding through programs first to check before we decide to start watching them. Right now I have two programs on the DVR that are a half hour long and one movie that won't play much more than three minutes. If there's anything anyone can do to help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Tried calling technician who installed the service, have yet to hear back from her. Will try calling once more today, but if anyone here can help me, please do. Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: DVR recording issues
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

Sounds like you have a bum DVR. I assume you've tried all the methods for resetting it?

In Home Aagent

Calling Tech Support

Unplug/Replug the power cord

You probably need a replacement unit.

That sounds like a harddrive going bad to me.

LTrotter
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have unplugged and re-plugged the unit (not very long, though) and have twice tried calling the technician who installed it (she hasn't called back). I have yet to try the InHome Agent. Resetting the unit would delete all currently recorded programs, though, would it not?

0 Likes
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

No, you can do a reset that only resets things like parental control, but leaves recording and managed series.

There is a harder reset that will wipe everything and reset to clean and clear device. May be too much, but it might be worth it before getting a new device, which is also clean and clear.

Frankly, even if a wipe and reset worked I'm not sure I'd trust the device long term.

LTrotter
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info! It's been doing better, but I don't fully trust it. I still check recordings as they are recording, to make sure they don't screw up. Fun times. 😕

0 Likes
boshans
The same thing happens to me occasionally, maybe once every few months. I figured it was just something wrong with the channel at the time but hearing your story it is probably the box. It's definitely not supposed to do it that often though, thehatd drive it most likely defective.
0 Likes
OlderandBolder

I too have had this problem even after multiple boxes and was wondering if Verizon ever corrected your issues and if so, what did they do and are you happy with it now?

0 Likes
ajking324

I just switched over to Verizon aprox. two weeks ago and this is also an issue for me.  I've mostly noticed the problem on cable channels (my local channels seem fine) and it doesn't matter what time, like the OP has stated.

Is there a solution to this issue yet??

0 Likes
momarch

Having a very similar problem.  I signed up with verizon last april (2010) and for the first year no probelms at all...but now suddenly it seems every 3rd program I record freezes up during the playback and the only way to reset is to unplug the box  wait a few minutes then plug it back in and delete that particular program.  I got a verizon tech on chat because their phone customer service is akin to getting a root canal and he said I would have to issue a ticket and they would MAIL me a new box...meaning I'd have to set it up myself...yikes!! I had to call a tech out to set up the original after I couldnt figure it all out.

Has anyone had any luck with any suggestions to the freezing since it seems to be happening to several peeps, or are we all just doomed to lose everything we've recorded and start anew?

carolyn

0 Likes
halftheproblem

I'm having the same problem on 2 separate DVR boxes...one is a multi box DVR  connecting to normal set boxes and one a single room DVR (not connected to the multi room). What are the chances I got TWO bum boxes?! I've tried resetting and still get the issues. When we first set up Fios, everything went smoothly. Then there was a period of the broken up recordings. Very frustrating! After that we had a period of no issues again...and once again we are getting broken up recordings. It seems to be happening with a lot of different programs all at once right now. It's very upsetting when it happens to something I can't watch On Demand. I don't want to have to deal with NEW boxes as we'll lose all of are current recordings. Not to mention dealing with the hassle of setting them up. Grrrrrrr this is so frustrating. C'mon Verizon...let's fix this issue.

0 Likes