DVR sound?
edgnewbie

I'm new to DVR use - just installed.  Is it normal to hear sound in the HD/DVR cable box when the TV and box are turned off?

The sound is like a fan or hard drive in a computer.  A friend who also has a DVR has told me that he cannot hear his running.

Thanks in advance for your response.

0 Likes
Re: DVR sound?
Justin46
Legend

There are most definitely people who report being able to hear either the fan or the hard drive or both. I have a QIP6416 and when I turn everything off I cannot hear a thing, but then I am on Social Security so my hearing may not be a good measure  Smiley Happy Which DVR do you have?

The Verizon STBs, including the DVR, aren't really "off" when you turn them off. If you leave the TV on now and turn off the STB you will see a message that your STB is in standby and to press the Menu key to watch TV (ie, turn the STB back on).

I don't think the boxes should make so much noise that you can easily hear it from 3 or 4 feet away under normal conditions, but some people say they are way louder than that, that they can't sleep with one in the bedroom.If yours is so loud that it really bothers you I suggest you try to get Verizon to replace it - may work, may not, but worth a try if it is really bad.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: DVR sound?
Ucamuk1
Enthusiast - Level 3

You pretty much hit the nail on the head edgnewbie.  The sound you hear is the hard drives.  They are always running, even when the DVR is off (although it really never is.......off).

I found the sound was being amplified by the cabinet the DVR was resting on so I put small (1" square) pieces of Scotch Brite pad under each foot to isolate the vibration in the DVR from the cabinet.  This cut the sound quite a bit.

0 Likes