DVR to DVR Multi-Rroom Recording and Viewing - Can It Be Done?
cordera23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’m considering switching from D*TV to FIOS but haven’t done so yet because the FIOS DVR technology was far behind D*TV.  It appears to be getting much better since I last checked in with FIOS last year.  The new 7232 DVR with 500 Gig drive is a great start.  Sounds like the “coming soon” v1.9 firmware adds a lot as well.  The remaining problem I have is that I sometimes record three shows at once so I need two DVR’s.  I’ve heard that the FIOS multi-room DVR allows you to watch recordings on set-top boxes but not other DVR.   In an online chat with FIOS rep they said I could watch a recording from one DVR to another DVR BUT both DVR’s had to be multi room DVR’s.  Can anyone confirm that this can be done?

0 Likes
Re: DVR to DVR Multi-Rroom Recording and Viewing - Can It Be Done?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

No, that cannot be done.  One DVR cannot see the recordings from another DVR. Period. Does not matter if it is a DVR or MR-DVR. In fact a DVR and MR-DVR are the same equipement. The MR feature is just that, a feature, like adding HBO. Besides there can only be one MRDVR in the house anyway.  They were giving you wrong information. The ability to share between DVR's is supposed to be in the works, but there has been no annoucement as to when or if that will become available.

Re: DVR to DVR Multi-Room Recording and Viewing - Can It Be Done?
cordera23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  During my research of FIOS as I consider switching to it, I've been given bad information by FIOS reps twice on key questions.  One rep told me I could record three shows at once.  This is wrong.  Another rep gave me this bad information about DVR-to-DVR viewing.  FIOS reps are batting zero so far.  Doesn't give me a warm feeling so far.  I will probably wait until DVR-to-DVR viewing is possible.  It's a popular feature that many others have.  I can't imaging FIOS can be too far behind on this one.  Thanks for good info.

0 Likes
Re: DVR to DVR Multi-Room Recording and Viewing - Can It Be Done?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah, its best not to ask the sales people the technical questions. They either are seriously mis-informed or are just trying to make a sale saying whatever is needed. For technical questions, this forum is likely the best source of info.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@cordera23 wrote:

I’m considering switching from D*TV to FIOS but haven’t done so yet because the FIOS DVR technology was far behind D*TV.  It appears to be getting much better since I last checked in with FIOS last year.  The new 7232 DVR with 500 Gig drive is a great start.  Sounds like the “coming soon” v1.9 firmware adds a lot as well.  The remaining problem I have is that I sometimes record three shows at once so I need two DVR’s.  I’ve heard that the FIOS multi-room DVR allows you to watch recordings on set-top boxes but not other DVR.   In an online chat with FIOS rep they said I could watch a recording from one DVR to another DVR BUT both DVR’s had to be multi room DVR’s.  Can anyone confirm that this can be done?

Not Yet.

0 Likes
MatthewH12
Contributor - Level 1

The 1.9 Update which we hope will be out by Q2 2011, will supposedly add this feature. 😃