phillyjeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had to vent that I had the FIOS dvr. Series manager is always recording repeat shows, even though its set up for new episodes only. What ever happened to the Cisco DVR 😞

0 Likes
Re: DVR!
Hubrisnxs
Legend

cisco dvr's got pushed back, they are still planning to deploy but I wouldn't expect them this year.  What has changed is that verizon is coming out with updated software.  so we are looking for 1.8 to come out pretty soon, and then again with 1.9 towards the end of the year.

Additionally towards the end of the year they are coming out with larger size drives, and eSata support.  not sure if that will help your issue though.   if you can't wait for all that to happen, I know blockbuster had a sale on TiVo's for 99 bux for the HD one.  don't know if they still have it, but that might be an option if you're fed up with the Verizon DVR. 

TiVo and FiOS is almost a match made in heaven. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@phillyjeff wrote:

Had to vent that I had the FIOS dvr. Series manager is always recording repeat shows, even though its set up for new episodes only. What ever happened to the Cisco DVR 😞

There is no guarantee that changing makers of the DVR will fix the issue you are reporting since the operating firmware will still be written by Verizon.

That being said, the fault most likely lies with the guide provider (a company called FYI) whose information (new, descriptions, etc.) is notoriously bad.  If an episode is erroneously marked as "NEW" the DVR has no way of knowing that it is a repeat.  There are a multitude of posts here that lament Verizon's choice of guide provider (search is your friend).

Hellenww
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Keyboards wrote:

There is no guarantee that changing makers of the DVR will fix the issue you are reporting since the operating firmware will still be written by Verizon.

Does this mean if I purchased a Tivo I would not need to subscribe to tivo?

0 Likes
Gus_Gutz
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Additionally towards the end of the year they are coming out with larger size drives, and eSata support.  not sure if that will help your issue though.   

good luck with this. If this even happens in the next year or two, I am sure there will be a looooooooong wait before anyone with an existing box will get upgraded or there will be a charge as this will be an added service. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Hellenww wrote:
Does this mean if I purchased a Tivo I would not need to subscribe to tivo?

No, Tivo is not a Verizon product.  You would have to subscribe to Tivo to get guide information for recording and pay Verizon $3.99 per month for a cable card to enable the encrypted channels to be recorded.

Hellenww
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Keyboards, I thought that was the case but kept wishing otherwise. But I guees I'll get tivo anyway.

0 Likes
jenningsmusic

I just spoke with Tivo and they say there is no HD Tivo that is compatible with Verizon Fios. I am mad!

0 Likes
gondwana321

Make that $8.00 for two cable cards if you want 2 tuner recording. Plus $13 a month Tivo fee.

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1

DVR 

This is Verizon, company , always, by nature go on cheap.  I am sure they ordered from Motorola the cheapest configuration DVR just to squeese more profits. Customers unhappy? Who cares? Profits and managers multimillion salaries what they ONLY  interested in.

I have Verizon DSL for many years and only now FIOS is becoming available for me but from my experience dealing with Verizon I am very afraid to switch from my DirectTv to FIOS TV. DVR is bad, customer service  just terrible. My DSL has constant ( once a month dropout of service because of bad underground telephone cable and I am not able to force verizon to replace it). Instead they are sending another tech, who switch the wires and for several weeks DSL works. Then story repeats itself - lost connection, another dispatch comes, another temp fix and so on. I have this problem for 3 or 4 years and my only hope is to switch to FIOS Internet but I have to switch to FIOS TV also to bundle the service, Get this Piece of junk called Motorola DVR 6416, and then wait and hope that Motorola will produce enough boxes relatively quick and we will not have to wait years and years to get a new, hopefully better DVR. 

0 Likes