Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

DVR

davrog
Contributor
Contributor

DVR

Message 1 of 2
(584 Views)

I have been a DishNetwork customer for several years now, but have, in the last couple of years move and now have FIOS Internet and home phone.  These services have work better that I could have dreamed.

Recently my the cost of my Dish service went up again and because I truly believe in fiber technology I thought I would do a side-by-side comparison of the latest Verizon DVR to my four year old Dish Receiver looking at the features I value.  I have spoken with FIOS TV Tech support on all the issues below.

The program guide:  Much of the text on the screen is too small for me to read when I am sitting on my couch.

Can I select a larger font for the program guide?

FIOS:  No               Dish: Yes

The program guide contains every program that is available, those I get, those I don't and those I don't ever want myself or anyone to see.

Can I selectively remove channel from the guide?

Can the remote that comes with the system be used to control all my entertainment center hardware.  DVR, TV, DVD player, audio receiver?

Is there a RF option for the remote so I can put my DVR inside the entertainment center?

There is a button on the remote labeled "PIP". Can the receiver do Picture in Picture?

Can I connection to, and watch my DVR receiver including live TV and/or already recorded events on my Android phone anywhere I get cell phone signal?

When setting up DVR events, can these in include Record, Auto Tune or just a Reminder?

I'm not sure how old the actual FIOS DVR is technology is, but I expected a much closer gap, if not a superior FIOS product.

I would like to be contacted when Verizon has a product that addresses these issues.

1 REPLY 1
PJL
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Re: DVR

Message 2 of 2
(531 Views)

@davrog wrote:

The program guide contains every program that is available, those I get, those I don't and those I don't ever want myself or anyone to see.

Can I selectively remove channel from the guide?

***Yes you can, by using a favorites list.

Can the remote that comes with the system be used to control all my entertainment center hardware.  DVR, TV, DVD player, audio receiver?

***There is a 4-button remote available onlilne from Verizon that will allow you to do this.  It costs $14.95, and is available at teleproducts.verison.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts.  But there are many universal remotes available that will do this too.

Is there a RF option for the remote so I can put my DVR inside the entertainment center?

***But there is an IR extender sensor that will allow you to do this.

When setting up DVR events, can these in include Record, Auto Tune or just a Reminder?

***When selecting a program in the guide you are given the options of recording the program, recording the series of the program, etc., or setting a reminder.  If by "Auto Tune" you mean that the STB will automatically switch to the channel, I believe it will if you ignore the prompt on the screen.

I would like to be contacted when Verizon has a product that addresses these issues.

***This is a peer-to-peer forum.  Who are you making this request to be contacted?

I've answered some of your questions above.  For the picture quality alone, plus the triple-play savings you would get by adding TV to your package, I would suggest you give it a try.  IMHO, your "no" answers, when judged against picture quality and savings, would not be a show stopper for me.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title