Deco M9 Mesh System and FIOS TV
rdlaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know this question has been asked multiple times but I have seen multiple varying answers so I'm oping to get some clarification.

I have FIOS internet and TV.  I just purchased a TP-Link Deco M9 Mesh system to improve the WIF in my house.  I'd like to keep this as my primary router.  Right now I have ethernet from the wall going into the Deco and then from the Deco to the Wan port of my FIOS G1100 router.  I have the Coax from my wall into the Coax into the G1100.

Wifi is working super fast with no more dead zones and FIOS TV is working fine with a common exception.  Caller ID no longer shows up on the TVs and I cannot use any remote DVR features.  I saw one post that said to change my FIOS IP address which I tried but was then unable to log back into the router,  I had to factory reset and start all over and kept the IP address..  Not fun.  I also read a post that said to get a second router to put into the chain to resolve this.  Also I have WIFI turned off on the FIOS router has advised in several posts.

Wondering if anyone has the definitive solution to this.  Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Deco M9 Mesh System and FIOS TV
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@rdlaub wrote:

I know this question has been asked multiple times but I have seen multiple varying answers so I'm oping to get some clarification.

I have FIOS internet and TV.  I just purchased a TP-Link Deco M9 Mesh system to improve the WIF in my house.  I'd like to keep this as my primary router.  Right now I have ethernet from the wall going into the Deco and then from the Deco to the Wan port of my FIOS G1100 router.  I have the Coax from my wall into the Coax into the G1100.

Wifi is working super fast with no more dead zones and FIOS TV is working fine with a common exception.  Caller ID no longer shows up on the TVs and I cannot use any remote DVR features.  I saw one post that said to change my FIOS IP address which I tried but was then unable to log back into the router,  I had to factory reset and start all over and kept the IP address..  Not fun.  I also read a post that said to get a second router to put into the chain to resolve this.  Also I have WIFI turned off on the FIOS router has advised in several posts.

Wondering if anyone has the definitive solution to this.  Thank you in advance.

Have you tried using the 1100 as the primary then going to the TP Link from the 1100? If so do you see a speed hit?

rdlaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not tried that because I have read that it does cause a speed decrease.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@rdlaub wrote:

I have not tried that because I have read that it does cause a speed decrease.

I'd try anyway. The 1100 is still a gigabit router, as long as you don't use its WiFi you should be ok. Basically using it as a passthrough.

rdlaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you.  I'll try it.

0 Likes
rdlaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tried it and my wifi kept disconnecting.  In this setup is it supposed to go into Access Point mode (which is what I did).  I had to re-enable my fios router wifi.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@rdlaub wrote:

Tried it and my wifi kept disconnecting.  In this setup is it supposed to go into Access Point mode (which is what I did).  I had to re-enable my fios router wifi.

Did you look at this?

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/G1100-Bridging-Guide/bd-p/g1100-bridging-guide

rdlaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not seen that.  Thank you.  This would make my Deco device the primary?

0 Likes
rdlaub
Enthusiast - Level 3

It tells me to change the IP address, but when I do that, I can't access the router admin page anymore, even using the IP address I changed it to.  Forces me to go back to factory settings.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@rdlaub wrote:

It tells me to change the IP address, but when I do that, I can't access the router admin page anymore, even using the IP address I changed it to.  Forces me to go back to factory settings.

You are making the changes with a device wired to the router right? Only have the Verizon router system when you make the changes, then add the other.