Digital Adapters
eeubank

Can I purchase a digital adapter from outside Verizon and use it with my FIOS service?

0 Likes
Re: Digital Adapters
truep

I don't think so, I have TV's that have cable tuners. I can get some chanels, but they are not in any reasonable order. Also a lot are blocked. Set top boxes won't work without the cable card ( I don't think they are the same as the cable cards for TV's but I may be wrong). I doubt Verizon would install one in a third party box anyway.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You can get other devices such as apapter, PCs with Tuners, Tivo, Roku etc. but they must be able to accept cable cards.  you will need to get a cable card (at a monthly fee of course) in order to use devices not provided by VZ.

Note however using other devices you may not have access to TV Guide or Video on Demand.

Jim

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depends on what you mean by digital adapter.

If you are referring to the SD Digital adapter that Verizon rents, the answer is no.

Verizon retains ownership of all boxes. So any you find on eBay or craigslist are considered stolen and Verizon will not activate.

If you are referring to an adapter that has a qam tuner, then yes. You can use it to get your local channels.

Anything else would require a cable card as others have stated.

0 Likes