Digital TV can't find any channels with FIOS
finiteguy
My digital TV does not use a set top box. I used to be able to scan the channels and pick up the local ones, but now I get nothing. Is there a problem because of the switch over to all digital? Makes no sense since FIOS has always been digital.
0 Likes
Re: Digital TV can't find any channels with FIOS
prisaz
Legend

@finiteguy wrote:
My digital TV does not use a set top box. I used to be able to scan the channels and pick up the local ones, but now I get nothing. Is there a problem because of the switch over to all digital? Makes no sense since FIOS has always been digital.

Verizon switch to all digital last year, and used to supply analog in addition to digital. If your TV has a digital tuner, it must have QAM compatability not just ATSC which is over the air digital.

0 Likes
sgip2000

And even if your TV has a QAM tuner, the channels are not mapped properly.  Your locals could be at 94.129-133 for example.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@sgip2000 wrote:

And even if your TV has a QAM tuner, the channels are not mapped properly.  Your locals could be at 94.129-133 for example.

Depends on the brand.  My Sharp Aquos maps all the local HD (OTA) channels correctly by the PSIP information (3.1, 6.1, etc.).  Local SD channels will not be mapped as they don't have PSIP headers.  Some brands still have trouble with Verizon's PSIP information and either don't map or totally choke and can't find any of the local HD stations.  Verizon fixed an issue almost a year ago that caused my Sharp to not be able to tune any of the local HD stations for nearly 9 months - either at their mapped location or their QAM channel (70.x to 75.x in my area) Smiley Sad

0 Likes
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's a question I have wondered about.  Is it possible for Verizon (or any other provider for that matter) to insert their own PSIP code into a signal, so the channels that do come through in the clear could match up to the channel numbers that the provider assigns to it ?  It seems to me that would go a long way to making the whole digital thing a lot more palatable to many people, particularly since more and more people are scrapping their old sets in favor of digital sets. 

Also, since to have Fios at all it requires that an ONT is installed, could circuitry be included right in the ONT to decode the signals for the level of service purchased at that point, and then distributing it through the house to allow the option of reception on a QAM tuner set without the use of a STB or cable card?  (yeah, I know that Verizon has no vested interest in this as it will cut down on their equipment rental income, but on the other hand it would be a real selling point for a lot of people, at least in my mind it would be).

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

To your first question, Verizon does insert their own PSIP.  My set decodes the remapping without issue.

To your second, the ONT does not have any "smarts" when it comes to the TV signal.  The light is RF modulated on the fiber and the ONT only provides an optical to electrical conversion with no processing.  In order to do what you ask, would require hundreds of tuners, decoders, and modulators (opne for each encrypted channel) to decrypt all the channels.  Yes it would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it happening.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 08-07-2009 05:38 PM
0 Likes
sgip2000

@Keyboards wrote:

@sgip2000 wrote:

Depends on the brand.  My Sharp Aquos maps all the local HD (OTA) channels correctly by the PSIP information (3.1, 6.1, etc.).  Local SD channels will not be mapped as they don't have PSIP headers.  Some brands still have trouble with Verizon's PSIP information and either don't map or totally choke and can't find any of the local HD stations.  Verizon fixed an issue almost a year ago that caused my Sharp to not be able to tune any of the local HD stations for nearly 9 months - either at their mapped location or their QAM channel (70.x to 75.x in my area) Smiley Sad

What model is your Sharp?  I have an LC46D65U and my local HD stations are not mapped correctly.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Mine is a nearly 2 year old LC52D92U.  When Verizon first intoduced PSIP at my VHO (about 3 months after  I got the set) I was unable to tune any local HD channels (either mapped or at their QAM channels).  It tooke them 9 months to finally resolve it Smiley Sad  It has mapped correctly since last August.
0 Likes
sgip2000

@Keyboards wrote:
Mine is a nearly 2 year old LC52D92U.  When Verizon first intoduced PSIP at my VHO (about 3 months after  I got the set) I was unable to tune any local HD channels (either mapped or at their QAM channels).  It tooke them 9 months to finally resolve it Smiley Sad  It has mapped correctly since last August.
Good info.  I'll have to run a scan on mine again.
0 Likes