Digital audio output format
jjh8

I'm new to fios and I want to connect my QIP7216 to a stereo dac.  My dac only accepts 2 channel PCM format.  When I set the QIP7216 to STEREO mode, I thought I would get PCM output on the optical output.  This doesn't seem to work and any change to the audio format doesn't seem to matter.  It appears the optical output always is in dolby format.  Does anyone know a way around this?  Is there firmware out there that will make this work?  I don't want to use the analog audio outs on the QIP7216 since I have gone to all the trouble of having a high quality dac.  Help please.

0 Likes
Re: Digital audio output format
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can force the STB to always output in L-PCM format ...

- With the STB and TV turned ON, on the front panel press in sequence at about 1/2 second intervals: Power, Select, Menu

- In about 15 seconds, a menu will appear on screen titled "User Settings".  Using the arrow keys on the front panel or remote,  move down 3 lines to "Additional HDMI Settings" and press the right arrow key.

- Using the arrow keys, move down two lines to "Audio Output" and press the right arrow key until it reads "L-PCM"

- Using the arrow keys, move down one line to "Return to Main Menu" and press the right arrow key

- Power cycle the STB off using the Power button on the front panel.

Your STB should now be outputting L-PCM.

0 Likes
jjh8

I tried your fix, made the setting change but still not audio.  I have had a dish network converter connected to this dac and multiple dvd players without a problem  Even though the setting says L-PCM, it doesn't seem to have an effect.  Any other ideas?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Unfortunately, I think that setting only affects the HDMI output (that's why it is under HDMI options on that menu) so it looks like you may be SOL.

0 Likes
m8o

Not sure if you are still a customer.  I had this same issue, and solved it with an incredibly handy device...   an HD FURY 4K Integral.

https://www.hdfury.com/shop/splitters/integral-4k60-444-600mhz/

It has oodles of capabilities (it really is incredible, to tweek every aspect of the signal on the hdmi wire)  The important one here is you use an app on your phone to force two channel stereo as the max capability of the downstream device.  Run an optical cable from the Integral to the dac (not from the cable box).  Reboot the cable box.  And bang, the cable box is feeding only stero over HDMI, split out by the Integral, to your two channel dac.  Just did it today with my Mojo over toslink.

This is often out of stock as it is so desirable.  As mentioned, I have three.  One of the coolest things made: 

https://www.amazon.com/HD-Fury-4k-Integral-6934917036354/dp/B016ZY2FZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=...

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes