Digital out not working on Motorola QIP 7232-2
s2kredhead
Enthusiast - Level 2

We received a Motorola QIP 7232 to replace our older QIP 6416-2. On the 7232, I am using coax connections RGB+audio L&R to connect to our TV, and a coax connection from the Digital Audio jack to a Digital Audio in jack on our receiver. I am unable to get an audio signal on the receiver.

On the 6416, the jack was labeled SPDIF and it worked just fine.

I've talked to support on the phone and we've received two different 7232 DVRs, and both have the same problem.

Is there a setting we need to change to make the 7232 output a digital audio signal?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Digital out not working on Motorola QIP 7232-2
s2kredhead
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved - spent the day buying and fishing an optical cable, which works, so we're back to the status quo with hopefully a better DVR. Thanks for the suggestions from the forum.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well you should check the audio by hitting menu > settings > audio and then making sure it's set for surround. 

If it is, then you can go to the hidden menu.

You need to use two hands, one hand powers off the stb and the other hand hits ok and then menu.

Power OFF + OK + MENU (one at a time none together)  

and then go to additional hdmi options, and switch audio to LPCM or PASSTHROUGH

0 Likes
s2kredhead
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, already checked the regular menu and it's set to "surround" - will try the "hidden menu" approach and see if that helps. Thanks for the quick response.

0 Likes
s2kredhead
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to get into the hidden menu but there aren't any options for audio. Note that I am NOT using HDMI. I am using coax cables to connect the DVR to the TV. I saw in another post that the audio settings are under "Additional HDMI settings" but maybe those won't show up if you're not using HDMI.

I just saw TV Type, a list of resolutions supported, closed captioning, restore all default settings.

User Menu v2.5

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

You could try an optical connection intead.

One obvious question is does your receiver handle both LPCM and Dolby Digital.  If it does you shouldn't have to play with the hidden menu.  Most often have to play with it if their receiver can't handle both, usually handling LPCM and not Dolby Digital.  Sometimes supporting stereo pcm and Dolby digital but not 5.1 LCPM.

0 Likes
s2kredhead
Enthusiast - Level 2

@tns wrote:

You could try an optical connection intead.

One obvious question is does your receiver handle both LPCM and Dolby Digital.  If it does you shouldn't have to play with the hidden menu.  Most often have to play with it if their receiver can't handle both, usually handling LPCM and not Dolby Digital.  Sometimes supporting stereo pcm and Dolby digital but not 5.1 LCPM.

Yes, I could try the optical connection or run the component audio from the TV to the receiver, but I don't have the right cable and fishing cables behind our built-in entertainment center is painful. The receiver supports PCM (I don't see it listed as LPCM, is there a difference?), Dolby, Digital, DTS. It is an older mid-range Marantz receiver - probably 10 years old. Could the audio formats have changed just enough between then and now that it's not decoding properly? The receiver says "No Data" when that input is selected.

The most annoying thing is that the exact same connection on the old Motorola/Verizon DVR works just fine (I've reconnected it each time  to verify).

0 Likes
s2kredhead
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved - spent the day buying and fishing an optical cable, which works, so we're back to the status quo with hopefully a better DVR. Thanks for the suggestions from the forum.

0 Likes
Power Surge from Hurricane Sandy took out my Motorola QIP 7232-2
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3
Moved for greater exposure
0 Likes
FLHTC2010

I set mine up with the optical digital cable going from my STB to my Entertainment Center but have lost the ability to control the volume with Fios remote. With the standard Audio cables I can control the volume with Fios remote but obviously lose sound quality. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Guvna1

Just resolved my own problem with surround sound not working on QIP 7232-2. Went to hidden menu, changed audio to PCM (passthrough didn't work) and now I have Dolby Pro Logic and the playoff games have surround sound that they deserve!

I have no clue why Verizon makes it so hard to get competent support for something this important. Ugh.

0 Likes