Disable information bar
Val110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello.  Please advise how to disable the new "information bar" that pops up over half the screen each time we change channels.  It is slow and intrusive.

Also, any tips to speed up the channel guide would be much appreciated.  It is very slow since the recent updates.  I don't understand why it takes so long to change channels now.  Thanks!

Re: Disable information bar
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Val1 wrote:

Hello.  Please advise how to disable the new "information bar" that pops up over half the screen each time we change channels.  It is slow and intrusive.

Also, any tips to speed up the channel guide would be much appreciated.  It is very slow since the recent updates.  I don't understand why it takes so long to change channels now.  Thanks!

Try: menu>guide>now and next timeout, change it to 0 or 2 seconds to speed things up. Make sure last viewed guide state is enabled. Menu>Settings>system>television>default information bar should be checked, not information page. Also turn off the Last Watched Rail, then go into menu>settings>notifications>recommendations, promotions, and Guide banner and disable them. That should also speed things up.

Val110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, turning down the now and next timeout helped a lot!  Unfortunately, the

Menu>Settings>system>television>default information bar

suggestion doesn't work.  My only options under television are:

Auto Tune to HD Channels

Help

Last Watched Rail.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Val1 wrote:

Thanks, turning down the now and next timeout helped a lot!  Unfortunately, the

Menu>Settings>system>television>default information bar

suggestion doesn't work.  My only options under television are:

Auto Tune to HD Channels

Help

Last Watched Rail.

Are you on Apr 6.9, 0r Apr7.0? The settings for the Info bar are in the same place for either firmware. Are you sure info page isn't selected instead of info bar? Try Menu>settings>notifications>guide banner>disable.

Menu should look like this:

Val110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your continued help.  I am on APR-7.0.  As I wrote, when I follow

Menu>Settings>system>television

my only next  options are (in order):

Auto Tune to HD Channels

Help

Last Watched Rail

I did it again just now to confirm.

Following your other instructions (including disabling the guide banner as you indicated) indeed got rid of the information bar pop-up every time I flip channels, but there is still an annoying delay each time the channel changes.  Plus there is no display of the current channel.

Despite your generous assistance, there unfortunately seems to be no hope of tweaking the settings to return things to the former speed (which was already plenty slow).

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Val1 wrote:

Thanks for your continued help.  I am on APR-7.0.  As I wrote, when I follow

Menu>Settings>system>television

my only next  options are (in order):

Auto Tune to HD Channels

Help

Last Watched Rail

I did it again just now to confirm.

Following your other instructions (including disabling the guide banner as you indicated) indeed got rid of the information bar pop-up every time I flip channels, but there is still an annoying delay each time the channel changes.  Plus there is no display of the current channel.

Despite your generous assistance, there unfortunately seems to be no hope of tweaking the settings to return things to the former speed (which was already plenty slow).

Unfortunately I guess at this point all people can do is contact Verizon directly and voice their complaints. I'll try to find out where you can do that and be heard, but this is a peer driven forum, so it has limited visibility to Verizon corporate. You could try the Verizon Direct forum on DSLREPORTS.COM,  that is a direct pipeline to support.

Toomuchtrouble1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This new information bar is awful.  Way to slow; too much distracting information popping up when you change channels.  Information overload.  Hate it.

How to make TV useable again
Sephro1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The new features make the info button no longer work. The info bar nonsense is there forever.  Is there any way to remove these horrific new “features”???  

Re: How to make TV useable again
Sephro1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told technical support can remove this trash, will call tomorrow

Re: How to make TV useable again
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sephro wrote:

I was told technical support can remove this trash, will call tomorrow

Try settings>notifications>guide banner>disable. Might help a bit. Also try menu>guide>settings>now and next timeout, change it to 2 or 0 seconds to speed things up.