Disconnecting and reconnecting external ESATA storage
idburns
Enthusiast - Level 3

This weekend I am re-arranging our living room and the TV and DVR will be unplugged and moved- this means we will have to temporarily disconnect the external eSATA drive from the DVR.

I can't imagine it should be a problem but has anyone who is using an external eSATA drive had to disconnect and reconnect the hard drive from their DVR and did it give you any issues?

We have about 40 shows on the external drive that my wife would flip her wig if we lost.

thanks!
iain 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disconnecting and reconnecting external ESATA storage
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The correct way to remove the drive is to go to the menu and SETTINGS => DVR  and then the extra storage option (not at my DVR so I don't recall the exact wording) and then select EJECT.  This will then pop up a warning that the drive will be disconnected and you need to confirm.  Now the drive is safe to remove and there will be no loss of programs (I have done this exact method).  When you have relocated, just hook everything back up before powering up the DVR and the drive should be recognized with a message coming up on screen indicating that external storage is now enabled.

View solution in original post

Todd110

You should have no issues IF you disconnect it while powered OFF. Once you you perform the move, you can re-assemble/re-connect and re-power on. Again, the key is "power down" first.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The correct way to remove the drive is to go to the menu and SETTINGS => DVR  and then the extra storage option (not at my DVR so I don't recall the exact wording) and then select EJECT.  This will then pop up a warning that the drive will be disconnected and you need to confirm.  Now the drive is safe to remove and there will be no loss of programs (I have done this exact method).  When you have relocated, just hook everything back up before powering up the DVR and the drive should be recognized with a message coming up on screen indicating that external storage is now enabled.

idburns
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info!

0 Likes
idburns
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Keyboards wrote:

This worked perfectly, marked as the solution.  Thanks!

0 Likes