Distorted Audio / Intermittent Pixelation
Fairfax22022
Enthusiast - Level 2

We upgraded from Cox cable to Fios about six weeks ago and have generally been pleased with the quality of the service.  However, I have noticed on several occassions an audio problem where there is either a noticeable buzz or the audio becomes very distorted.  I think that this is confined to HD channels, but I really have not tracked it.  The problem is transient and when I switch channels the problem seems to go away.  In addition, I am seeing an increasing amount of pixelation and dropouts on HD channels.  My calls to Verizon tech support have generally resulted in suggestions to recheck all of my connections which are all nice and tight.

My home theater consists of:

• QIP6416-2 STB
  • Samsung PN50A450 Plasma
  • Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR

The FiOS box is connected to the TV via the AVR using HDMI.  I have tried a direct connection from the FiOS box to the TV and experience the same issue.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Distorted Audio / Intermittent Pixelation
Furrball64

I have the same problems with what you call pixelation we in maryland call it tiling.  And it just started a few days ago.  My husband is a verizon empolyee and he plans on checking our signal and connections tonight, as I have called him on the phone to complain to him. LOL  We just got Fios last wednesday.  Also he has suggested we replacing Coax since we are using the same wires from our old Cable Co. "Comcast".  My question is are you using the same Coax as your Cox Cable Company?  It my be of lower standard to recieve fiber optics.  I will get back to you to what my husband discovers. 

0 Likes
Fairfax22022
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tiling may be the correct word...all I know is that there are distinct dropouts in the picture.  Overall PQ is fine, but this is a random thing.

The cable is all brand new RG6 quad shield which was installed as part of a remodeling project with a FiOS upgrade in mind, so I doubt that that is a contributing factor.  The Verizon tech even commented on this when he did the installation.  Each cable run is less than 30' and there are no kinks or couplings which might interfere with the signal.

0 Likes
zooky
Contributor - Level 1

@Fairfax22022 wrote:

Tiling may be the correct word...all I know is that there are distinct dropouts in the picture.  Overall PQ is fine, but this is a random thing.

The cable is all brand new RG6 quad shield which was installed as part of a remodeling project with a FiOS upgrade in mind, so I doubt that that is a contributing factor.  The Verizon tech even commented on this when he did the installation.  Each cable run is less than 30' and there are no kinks or couplings which might interfere with the signal.

I'm *sort of* pointing to specfic channels as being the culprit(s).  Of particular note is TNT HD (don't know about SD).  Yesterday the problem was HORRID for that channel.  If I switched to ANY other channel the problem went away.  Perhaps the providers of TNT are at fault?  (I don't know how those things happen).

0 Likes
Fairfax22022
Enthusiast - Level 2

TNT HD was definetly one of the culprits during Trust Me (10-11pm).  I also think that it happend on FOX HD during 24.  Whatever it is, I don't know that I ever experience it on SD channels.

Since I am not the only one experiencing this I feel better that the issue is with Verizon and not my home theater setup.

newtocable
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had FIOS installed in August of 2008 and no problems as long as I was using cable box. A few weeks ago the picture and sound would go out intermittently like a bad signal was coming through. Nothing changed in setup or connections in months.  It also hasn't been associated with any specific channel. It clearly is on thier end, not the equipment or cabling.

I had this problem before getting FIOS with antenna based HD broadcasts, which I was doing ever since getting an HD set (3 yrs)  and got FIOS to get rid of it. If they don't fix the problem, I'm outta here nad back to off-the air reception

0 Likes