Distorted Audio
NA07950

I have 2 TVs connected to Fios and one has started to consistently have terrible distorted sound (think slow motion horror movies).  It previously happened when I was accessing Netflix and then switched back to Fios.  This problem started right after the update that was just done.  Verizon tech had me go through disconnecting and turning off the box and that initially worked.  Now, the sound problem is back.  Any recommendations?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Distorted Audio
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kobe710 wrote:

Having same issue with the audio when first turning on TV - only happens with the main TV. If I change channels it rectifies itself. The tech had me disconnect the HDMI & the power the reconnect & it fixed the problem at that moment. But it's back to being out of sync. Id so many rae having this issue Iwould think Verizon would have developed a fix by now.

As was posted earlier, did you try disabling lip-sync in your TVs audio menu? If that doesn't work try setting lip-sync to a fixed number like 150 in the service menu for the Fios box. Power off at box. Quickly press OK 2x on remote. Left arrow on circle on remote to leave status page. Go to User settings, Additional HDMI settings, set lip sync to manual, set value to 150, or turn lip sync off completely. Hit Menu on remote, reboot box and see if it's better. If you tried 150 for the value and audio is behind video lower the value. If audio is ahead of video add more delay.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NA07950 wrote:

I have 2 TVs connected to Fios and one has started to consistently have terrible distorted sound (think slow motion horror movies).  It previously happened when I was accessing Netflix and then switched back to Fios.  This problem started right after the update that was just done.  Verizon tech had me go through disconnecting and turning off the box and that initially worked.  Now, the sound problem is back.  Any recommendations?

Check in the audio options menu and see if you can enable passthrough. That could help. If not give the box a power-cycle, unplug power for 2 minutes, plug it back in.

Future_Yankee

We have had this issue since it was installed.  At first you could switch channels a few times and it would go away.  It has become increasingly worse and Verizon has been no help.  To get the privilege of "chatting" with some on on the app I have waited 30-45 minutes.  Have gone through the power up and power down with them.  I requested a new box that I will have to install myself - I have spent at least three hours troubleshooting this.  I have two free evenings a week that I would like to just veg and watch some TV with my family and it has been impossible.

If this box does not fix the issue I will get rid of FIOS.  I will report when I receive the box.

0 Likes
TFios4

Having the same issue.  I change the channel and the sound comes in all distorted.  I have to change the channel and change it back to get the sound to go away. To Verizon this is a simple workaround and no further action should be needed.  While it’s a small issue it’s annoying as hell.  Will be changing to Optimum next week.

0 Likes
jmllr

I have the same issue, changing the audio setting passthrough to "enable" it definitely helped but I still get the distorted audio intermittently. I swapped the fios min box with one from another TV and the issue followed. I then changed all the cables including the coax, and HDMI port on my TV.  It only happens on one TV I beginning to think there is some type of operability issue between the TV (LG) and the fios mini box.  I don't have the audio issue with any of my other TV's. 

Verizon support was no help at all not worth the time between this is the guide update I think it is clearly time to move on to another service. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jmllr wrote:

I have the same issue, changing the audio setting passthrough to "enable" it definitely helped but I still get the distorted audio intermittently. I swapped the fios min box with one from another TV and the issue followed. I then changed all the cables including the coax, and HDMI port on my TV.  It only happens on one TV I beginning to think there is some type of operability issue between the TV (LG) and the fios mini box.  I don't have the audio issue with any of my other TV's. 

Verizon support was no help at all not worth the time between this is the guide update I think it is clearly time to move on to another service. 

Shot in the dark, but try disabling auto lip-sync on the LG TV. Also check if the LG audio is set to stereo or surround. Try menu>settings>audio and Video>Audio>Dynamic Range. Change the setting to light or none.  Also if the problem follows one box, it may be defective and should be replaced.

CarloM

I have the same exact problem and I have a Sharp tv, not an LG.   What could it be....?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CarloM wrote:

I have the same exact problem and I have a Sharp tv, not an LG.   What could it be....?

Exactly what is happening, what other equipment do you have?  Is the Fios box going directly to the TV? Audio via HDMI or optical?

TammySR3

I’m having the same problem since getting Fios 3 weeks ago. I installed a new box and that helped for a couple of days. Just now, I lost all sound. Any suggestions?!?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TammySR3 wrote:

I’m having the same problem since getting Fios 3 weeks ago. I installed a new box and that helped for a couple of days. Just now, I lost all sound. Any suggestions?!?

Need more info: what Fios box? Direct to TV, soundbar, AVR, HDMI or optical?