Do Fiber Optic lines conduct electricity?
raylock
0 Likes
Re: Do Fiber Optic lines conduct electricity?
nXt1
Contributor - Level 1

No.

Fiber Optic passes LIGHT.

That's why a huge ONT box and Battery backup is attached to the house for your internet/tv/phone to work.

0 Likes
raylock

Thank you.  Yes, of course it passes light, but I was not sure whether the material was also a conductor.  I guess that I can feel comfortable now and not have to disconnect stuff when there is lightning.  Everything is properly grounded but that didn't help me last spring and I lost the HDMI circuts in my receiver and proector (not a small repair bill).  Guess that is another reason to have FIOS instead of Comcast:

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

To st you even more at ease, the light in a typical long haul fiber optic cable is sent through a strand glass whic is an excellent insulator.  There is no electrical path.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

During storms I would still unplug your systems. While it wont come in via the Fiber, it can still come in via the electrical wiring, or if close enough to the house it can still affect the coax and other standard wire in the home. This is one of the reasons I have all my high end electronics connected to UPS systems, surge suppressors, and I still unplug them during thunderstorms. Better safe than sorry. Smiley Wink

0 Likes