Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Do I Need to Run Optics Cable From the STB to AVS to Get 5.1?

SOLVED
Norboo
Contributor
Contributor

Do I Need to Run Optics Cable From the STB to AVS to Get 5.1?

Message 1 of 4
(838 Views)

My rears are not working.  Do I need to run optics cable from the STB to AVS to get 5.1?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: Do I Need to Run Optics Cable From the STB to AVS to Get 5.1?

Message 4 of 4
(761 Views)

@Norboo wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I just moved and and they changed my STB and all the settings are the same.  AVS is 3 years old.    

If you upgraded to the Fios one boxes you should go into the audio options in the settings menu in the box and enable passthrough. That way if the signal is 5.1, you'll hear it. It also keeps the original audio format so you may see stereo too.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mtk12002
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 2 of 4
(818 Views)

No you don't. If you have a 7.1 setup, then your rears won't work if you have the AVR set to just pass the audio signal through regardless of how you have it connected via HDMI or Toslink. If you're receiving a 5.1 signal then you'll only hear 5.1 channels. To simulate the other 2 channels you have to get the AVR to be in either PLIIX or Dolby Surround depending on the age of your AVR. Some brands use a "Movie"  or "Cinema"  button to accomplish this, others use a "Surround" button. Good luck. 

Norboo
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(816 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I just moved and and they changed my STB and all the settings are the same.  AVS is 3 years old.    

clem53
Gold Contributor III Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 4 of 4
(762 Views)

@Norboo wrote:

If you upgraded to the Fios one boxes you should go into the audio options in the settings menu in the box and enable passthrough. That way if the signal is 5.1, you'll hear it. It also keeps the original audio format so you may see stereo too.

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.