Do I need a STB for each TV?
adidas12
When I signed up for FiOS service, I was under the impression that I didn't need a STB for each TV.  We are trying to hook up a TV in other room.  There is already a splitter and it has an extra out that I hooked up the cable to and ran it to the new TV but it isn't working.  Can I run the cable directly from the splitter and have service or is a STB required?
0 Likes
Re: Do I need a STB for each TV?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You either need a Set Top Box for each TV or a TV that has a built-in QAM tuner which will enable you to receive channels that are in the clear not scrambled.
0 Likes
ipnet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Depending on where you live Verizon converted to all digital early last year.  That means that yes, you need a box for every TV.  They make a very small box for tough places like the kitchen, etc for about $3.50 each.  Expect the cable companies to do the same soon as they are running out of bandwidth.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ipnet wrote:

Depending on where you live Verizon converted to all digital early last year.  That means that yes, you need a box for every TV.  They make a very small box for tough places like the kitchen, etc for about $3.50 each.  Expect the cable companies to do the same soon as they are running out of bandwidth.

Not to be picky, but 2 errors in your post.

1. IF you only want local broadcast and music channels a TV with a QAM tuner will not require an STB as stated by Telcoguru (QAM is the modulation scheme used by Verizon and cable companies for their digital channels). 
  2. The smaller box is the DCT-700 which is $3.99 a month.
0 Likes