Do I need the 500gb dvr?
Bwangster12
Guess I'm a little confused. Got the email asking if I want the new 500 gb dvr, but do I need it? I have the 7216 dvr and I though with 1.9 later this year we would be able to just connect an external harddrive and expand storage. Can my current dvr do that once I get 1.9?

Also, I have the multiroom dvr, will I still have that ability?
0 Likes
Re: Do I need the 500gb dvr?
prisaz
Legend

It is a matter of preference. Some people like myself do not want to be bothered with an external storage device that must be connected and run with the existing DVR. The QIP-7232 also has a smaller foot print, is back and does not stick out like a 1980s VHS player. But it is up to you. The external drive storage is an option that I have been following in the 1.9 sneek peak beta. It is in use and will be an available option with 1.9. The QIP-7232 P2 500gig DVRs are available now, and can also support an external SATA drive when 1.9 is released, providing even more storage.

Regarding the Multi Room DVR features, I have the New QIP-7232 P2, QIP-7100 P2, 3 QIP-7100 P1 boxes and they all work with Multi Room DVR features with 1.8. Look for more information on improvements to Multi Room features closer to or at time of the 1.9 release.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I ditto the comments made my prisaz.

In additon, I've found the 7232 to be faster to make channel changes and to skip forward or backward in a recorded program.  There's no lag at all. 

I really haven 't found anything yet that makes me regret getting the 7232, with the minior exception that the front panel clock/channel display is too bright.

0 Likes
Bwangster12

I just had a rep tell me that the current DVR I have won't be able to connect an external hard drive to it when 1.9 hits.  She said that only the newer boxes will have that feature.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you have the model 6416, then the rep was correct.   the 7xxx series DVR's can take advantage of the external hard drive when it becomes available.   If you haven't already signed up on the list, then you will want to do that

verizon.com/fiostvcentral -> My TV -> Set Top Box -> bottom right banner ad about ur DVR > Click and fill in the info to be placed on the waiting list.    

0 Likes
Bwangster12

I have one of the 7216 models, so I assume I'd be able to connect a HD to my current DVR.  I have already received an email asking if I'd like to upgrade to the 500gb model and am trying to decide if I should.  Why not just wait for 1.9, buy an external HD and connect?  I will then own the HD and can do with it as I please, no?  

What was I reading about the HD being locked to one DVR?  Can I not disconnect the DVR and like connect it to my PC or another set top box?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

IMHO, I think you only need the 500 gb dvr, if you're looking at matching your furniture and your equipment better.  the silver 7216 doesn't match with my AV equipment, and so the black design of the 7232 looks SHARP in my cabinet.  

That is reason 1. 

reason 2, is if you don't feel like making an investment yourself in an external HD.   Some people don't want to shell out an extra 80 bucks.  not too expensive, but these are tough times for a lot of folks and that's the cost of a real nice dinner. 

500 GB is a lot of data.  

160GB (6416, 7216), 135GB Content Volume
SD : 85.8 hours
HD : 20.5 hours
500GB (7232), 440GB Content Volume
SD : 298.6 hours
HD : 71.2 hours
1TB eSATA (7216, 7232), 900GB Content Volume
SD : 619.6 hours
HD : 147.8 hours

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ari2419 wrote:

Why not just wait for 1.9, buy an external HD and connect?  I will then own the HD and can do with it as I please, no?  

What was I reading about the HD being locked to one DVR?  Can I not disconnect the DVR and like connect it to my PC or another set top box?

Yes you would own it  (but not the content) and you would also be responsible for replacing it if it fails.

Due to the MPAA and their DRM requirements the drive IS locked to a specific DVR and will not work on a PC and connecting it to another DVR will only result in the ability to re-format (and lose all content).

0 Likes
Bwangster12

Basically... what you mean as "locked" is that I can't use the drive anywhere else?  To combat this, what is Verizon doing?  Saving to it in such a way that the drive formats if I try using it elsewhere?

Any eSata drive will work once I update to 1.9?  Or do I need one of those My DVR drives by WD?

I know upgrading to the 500gb dvr is only 40 bucks, but betwee the fact that I have Citi Thank You points, Amazon gift cards and Slickdeals.net... I feel like it would end up being cheaper just buying an external HD myself.  Plus, its my HD in the event I move or want to use it in other ways.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ari2419 wrote:

Basically... what you mean as "locked" is that I can't use the drive anywhere else?  To combat this, what is Verizon doing?  Saving to it in such a way that the drive formats if I try using it elsewhere?

You can use the drive anywhere, but you can't access the content unless connected to the DVR that created the recordings.  Due to content provider restictions there are currently no plans to allow the useage of the content other than the original DVR (even in the event of a DVR failure and transferring the drive to a "new" DVR - although this may, and I emphasize MAY, be a future enhancement).  If connected to another DVR your only otpion to make it operate there would be a re-format.

Any eSata drive will work once I update to 1.9?  Or do I need one of those My DVR drives by WD?

As of now, Verizon has not released an "official" list of drives they consider compatable.  The WD MyDVR series have been used by some in the beta test, but purchasing at this time time is  AT YOUR OWN RISK.