Does FIOS STB support 21:9?
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I have a computer connected to a 27" monitor & a STB connected to a 23" monitor. I'm thinking about replacing both TVs with a bigger TV with 2 HDMI ports. I was browsing around the Best Buy website & saw a 34" 21:9 monitor.

Does the FIOS STB or the new TV One support 21:9? HMMM, I'm not even sure that my 2018 Mac mini supports 21:9! I'll have to ask Apple! Anyway, if FIOS doesn't support 21:9 there would be black bars on both sides of the 21:9 screen.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does FIOS STB support 21:9?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

So then, FIOS doesn't support 21:9, correct? I assumed that it doesn't.

Maybe a future update to TV One will support 21:9.

So, if I watch a 21:9 content on Netflix on a 16:9 TV, the ends will be cut off.

It’s not that it doesn’t support it per se. It’s just that most of the content that we watch is in 16:9. 

If you have a 21:9 monitor connect to a FiOS set-top box and go to the Netflix app and watch one of their shows then it will fill the screen. But everything else that is in 16:9 will have bars. 

Even if Verizon updates the box with a 21:9 setting the programs that are still broadcasted in 16:9 will have bars. It’s the same as if you are watching a 4:3 format on a 16:9 screen. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Netflix has content in 21:9 and there alot of movies filmed in a wider angle. In those cases the screen will be filled, but majority of the time you will have black bar on the sides because most HD is in 16:9

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

So, if I watch a 21:9 content on Netflix on a 16:9 TV, the ends will be cut off.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

It’s not that it doesn’t support it per se. It’s just that most of the content that we watch is in 16:9. 

If you have a 21:9 monitor connect to a FiOS set-top box and go to the Netflix app and watch one of their shows then it will fill the screen. But everything else that is in 16:9 will have bars. 

Even if Verizon updates the box with a 21:9 setting the programs that are still broadcasted in 16:9 will have bars. It’s the same as if you are watching a 4:3 format on a 16:9 screen.