Switch Account

Does FIOS STB support 21:9?

Does FIOS STB support 21:9?

SOLVED
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 1 of 4
(410 Views)

I have a computer connected to a 27" monitor & a STB connected to a 23" monitor. I'm thinking about replacing both TVs with a bigger TV with 2 HDMI ports. I was browsing around the Best Buy website & saw a 34" 21:9 monitor.

Does the FIOS STB or the new TV One support 21:9? HMMM, I'm not even sure that my 2018 Mac mini supports 21:9! I'll have to ask Apple! Anyway, if FIOS doesn't support 21:9 there would be black bars on both sides of the 21:9 screen.

3 REPLIES 3
Silver Contributor V Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 2 of 4
(399 Views)

Netflix has content in 21:9 and there alot of movies filmed in a wider angle. In those cases the screen will be filled, but majority of the time you will have black bar on the sides because most HD is in 16:9

Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 3 of 4
(382 Views)

So then, FIOS doesn't support 21:9, correct? I assumed that it doesn't.

Maybe a future update to TV One will support 21:9.

So, if I watch a 21:9 content on Netflix on a 16:9 TV, the ends will be cut off.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor V Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 4 of 4
(364 Views)

@pcnerd wrote:

So then, FIOS doesn't support 21:9, correct? I assumed that it doesn't.

Maybe a future update to TV One will support 21:9.

So, if I watch a 21:9 content on Netflix on a 16:9 TV, the ends will be cut off.

It’s not that it doesn’t support it per se. It’s just that most of the content that we watch is in 16:9. 

If you have a 21:9 monitor connect to a FiOS set-top box and go to the Netflix app and watch one of their shows then it will fill the screen. But everything else that is in 16:9 will have bars. 

Even if Verizon updates the box with a 21:9 setting the programs that are still broadcasted in 16:9 will have bars. It’s the same as if you are watching a 4:3 format on a 16:9 screen. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.