Does FIOS only transmit in 1080I, not 1080P?
MadCow

Does FIOS not transmit to 1080P? Also, sometimes the HD seems pretty grainy. Anyone else get this? I have a Sony KDL-42V4100 so it should be spectacular...

Also, even when viewing HD channels, I sometimes get images not in full 16:9. Does this depend on how the show is actually transmitted? Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
Re: Does FIOS only transmit in 1080I, not 1080P?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@MadCow wrote:

Does FIOS not transmit to 1080P? Also, sometimes the HD seems pretty grainy. Anyone else get this? I have a Sony KDL-42V4100 so it should be spectacular...

Also, even when viewing HD channels, I sometimes get images not in full 16:9. Does this depend on how the show is actually transmitted? Thanks for the help!

FIOS transmits in 1080i maximum and that is the maximum resolution of the Moto boxes - actually FIOS just retransmits in whatever resolution and aspect ratio they are provided.  AFAIK the only 1080p transmission is this new Turbo HD from Dish.  Keep in mind that many of the HD channels are only 720p source transmissions even though the STB upconverts to 1080i.

Not all "HD" transmissions are in 16:9 format.  HD does not specify the aspect ratio, only the increased resolution - and there is strong debate as to what constitutes HD resolution (which I have no desire to get into). 

0 Likes
Re: Does FIOS only transmit in 1080I, not 1080P?
dabluguy

Your are right on about the signal being provided to Verizon as well as other HD providers. The majority of "Big Time" service providers get their broadcast signal directly from the Network satellite feeds. Thus if your getting ESPN, its native resolution is 720p 16:9 (except when THEY narrow the box by using Side bars sometimes for commercials and other reasons) and should be presented as 720p 16:9 on your TV unchanged.

The majority of the the major networks broadcast in 1080i 16:9 and the same rules apply to them as above. 

Where you run into issues and troubles is when the the signal Verizon is providing is a feed from a "local" outlet or distributor which may have been downlinked in either native 720p or 1080i and the local outlet changes the signal to something OTHER than its original native format sent by the "originator/programmer".

The issue I have with Verizon and their compilation of Motorola autosensing STB's, is you are forced to select an output of either 720p or 1080i regardless of the input signal. There is no "native" pass through. Thus it's a case of "your'e in the Life boat with only room for 2, who do you save, your wife or your mother?" Assuming your TV is native 720p (or contrarily 1080i as approriate), If the incoming signal is native 720p and you select 1080i output on the STB

it will go to your TV as 1080i only to be converted to 720p by the TV and the vice versa for the TV that is native 1080p which will converted to 1080i.

If they would just let the signal be, and have the TV do the rescaling  without an preset scaling in advance, it is likely your picture would be somewhat improved over the current methodology.

Thus you run the risk of the signal being manipulated several times before you ever get to see it live on your screen!    :smileysad:

0 Likes