Does Verizon offer a 4K Compatible STB and...
hakoreh7

I understand no one broadcasts (I think) in 4K at the moment. My question is that when they do broadcast in 4K, do they have any DVR STB's that are compatible with 4K? 

Secondly do we need a certain service level on my plan in order to have 4K TV? 

Lastly do any of the STB's have built in streaming services other than Verizon's own - such as Netflix, YouTube, Plex etc. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does Verizon offer a 4K Compatible STB and...
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't mind the loss of "On Demand" services (many of which can be gained by use of a streaming app or a cast enabled TV), you could consider checking out the newer TIVO Bolt offering.

It's 4K capable, has some streaming services (like Netflix, Huu, Amazon, HBO2GO), and of course is a DVR with 6 tuners.  Breakeven on cost last time I checked is about 26 months give or take depending on how many remote units you need -- since all you need from VZ is a cable card, no STB rental fees. 

I've had my TIVO Roamio setup for about 3 years now I believe and love it. 

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't currently have any 4k  boxes.  So of course no level required to support 4k TV.

Currently YouTube is supported but none of the others.  Many 4k tv's have some 4k support for such channels, and this works over your internet connection.

All this might change when ATSC 3 becomes a reality.

Remember you are talking to peers here.  Verizon itself is unlikely to talk about futures until they officially start a roll out and have been known to roll out things first without announcing it.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't mind the loss of "On Demand" services (many of which can be gained by use of a streaming app or a cast enabled TV), you could consider checking out the newer TIVO Bolt offering.

It's 4K capable, has some streaming services (like Netflix, Huu, Amazon, HBO2GO), and of course is a DVR with 6 tuners.  Breakeven on cost last time I checked is about 26 months give or take depending on how many remote units you need -- since all you need from VZ is a cable card, no STB rental fees. 

I've had my TIVO Roamio setup for about 3 years now I believe and love it. 

Rlhollin

This post is over 1 year old has anything changed.  There are now several services that offer 4K including Netflix, Amazon, and Apple.  Also I just saw an ad during the Olympics for Comcast 4K.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

True, but other than limited on demand options no real 4K content out there yet.

4KMan

The sad truth is Verizon does does not offer 4K STB yet there is really no reason why that do not. Comcast offers it I like Fios because there connection speeds are much faster then Comcast. Fios charges enough where they should have 4K boxes by now there just dragging there feet. The only way to view 4K w/ Verizon is stream movies & shows like Netflicks. I built a great gaming computer in 2010 I upgraded my graphics card to a 4K so I can play games in 4K. You know I like Verizon but, this 4K thing has bugged me for a while if you call them they can tell you nothing about when there going to roll it out I have had my 4K tv for over 2 years if they do not get the stb out soon I may drop them because I want to get a better 4K set and why buy it if Verizon is going to be too cheap to at least have STB for the  customers who have them. Not every one has 4K sets I bet 8k TVs will be out before they put out 4k

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The reason is actually a combination of cost to replace all set top boxes, and the fact Verizon like the cable companies are losing tv customers hand over fist. Coupled with the fact Verizon wants to ditch copper lines (dsl) and concentrate only on Fios broadband and wireless. But at this article it states Verizon was testing 4K 

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/verizon-teams-up-with-ses-4k-content-for-fios-tv-customers-cm766941

But tell yourself if your customer base was dwindling would you invest in 4K to just keep a 100,000 customers? Capital wise I would not care.

0 Likes
marcbcar1

Does verizon offer 4 k boxes yet 4-19-2018

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@marcbcarwrote:

Does verizon offer 4 k boxes yet 4-19-2018

Nope, the testing was completed and not initiated.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Too be a bit clearer, they were testing a different form of FIOS service using iptv and new STB's that supported 4k. They even had some 4k content.  But for whatever reason they decided to end testing and not roll out the service.  Even calling back the STB's from those customers who were testing.

Note those STB do not work with the current FIOS services, and its not clear what plans they now have for newer STB.