Does the Quantum DVR come with updated On Demand software?
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

I am started to get really annoyed with the software in the Verizon Boxes. The timeout and no resume after a few minutes.  The fact that it doesn't show you what you've watched previously.  The 2x fast forward (if at all).  All of these things keep pushing us to Netflix and Amazon more and more.  Also, my neighbor has the new Cablevision box - it was like I suddenly got transported from the 1990's (the Verizon System) to 2008 era (the new Cablevision system) - and worst of all I was impressed by this!

I was hoping that the Quantum DVR comes with new software??  Does it fix any of these issues?

0 Likes
Re: Does the Quantum DVR come with updated On Demand software?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Updated?  Yes.  But not really that different than the one that existed before the recent Motorola IMG verizon  changes that are rolling out to the older devices.  That does inlcude a redesign but hasn't come to Quantum yet.

The Quantum version does have some fixes, and some new "bugs"  and has gone through some upgrades to eliminate some of its bugs. 

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1
So there appears to be no end in sight to these issues?
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Be specific about which issues.

In general it does work for me.

2x speed limit.  Not easily fixed, but acknowledged as something people want.

The no resume.  Still depends to be channel dependent.  

Timeout?  I am not seeing this for short pauses.  Long ones, working as descigned as far as dropping out, but resume is suppose to work.

NOt sure what you mean by "The fact that it doesn't show you what you've watched previously".

Look at the comments about VOD on the new Motorola IMG 1.9.7 to see what changes MAY be coming to Quantum VMS.

0 Likes
SimonMason
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the response.  I will be a more specific:

2X speed limit.  I have never worked in engineerying cable boxes but I know that Amazon, Netflix, and Amazon have all figured out how to increase the speeds on devices they don't control - so I am not sure why Verizon can't deliver this.

On long pauses the timeout does not remember that you were watching the show.  The resume show option goes away after some time - not sure how long it is but it is not long - perhaps 30 minutes.  When the resume goes away the 2X speed limit suddenly becomes very important because getting back to the point you left of can be painful.  Also, if you were lucky enough to be watching a show that had fast forward disabled you have no choice but to watch it.  Again, from a software engineering perspective - allowing someone to fast forward back to the point in the show that you left off should not be that difficult.

As fars as knowing what you watched - Netflix and all of the other services know when you have watched a show.  So if you are working your way through a series it highlghts those shows that have been previously watched.  On Verizon you have no idea - so many times I start watching an episode only to realize that I had already seen it.  This is especially prevalent when the description of the episode does not provide enough information to evaluate the contents of the episode - such as "Season 2, Episode 3"!  Netflix goes one better and even allows viewer profiles - so you indicate who is watching and it keeps track of your watching and resume points.  In this day and age this is fairly basic stuff.

I have seen that many of these issues have been noted on the forum for years now.  I had originally posted to see if any of the new DVRs actually had new software - making them worth looking at.  But it appears the most signfiicant change on the software that has happened in the last couple of years is the addition of ads at the bottom of the guide screen and enhanced widgets.  Does anyone actually use widgets on their computer screen - doesn't everyone have a smart phone in their pocket with the weather and traffic on it?

0 Likes