Doing a Channel Scan Found No Channels
highschoolhank
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung LCD HD TV that has a QAM tuner.  Doing a channel scan found no channels.  I tried scanning for STD, HRC, and IRC digital signals.  I don't know what else to try.  Is FIOS still transmitting some channels unencrypted?  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Doing a Channel Scan Found No Channels
highschoolhank
Enthusiast - Level 2

The coax out of the ONT goes to a 3 way MoCA splitter.  I read a bit about MoCA and came across something about the signal being degraded by a normal splitter.  Found which coax out of the MoCA splitter went to where the Samsung is and saw that this cable had a "regular" splitter.  Removed that splitter, connected the input with a straight connector to the output feeding the Samsung outlet, did a channel scan, and voila!  

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@highschoolhank wrote:

I have a Samsung LCD HD TV that has a QAM tuner.  Doing a channel scan found no channels.  I tried scanning for STD, HRC, and IRC digital signals.  I don't know what else to try.  Is FIOS still transmitting some channels unencrypted?  

Was the coax you were using coming from a splitter from the ONT or from the Router?

highschoolhank
Enthusiast - Level 2

The coax was not coming from a router, just from the connection in the wall (call it coax1) which was here before FIOS was installed. 

Since I orginally posed this question, I tried the same thing using a different and newer TV (Insignia) attached to a different coax wall outlet (coax2).  It was able to pick up a bunch of unencrypted channels.  I also went back to the Samsung on coax1, did some more playing around, and used an option on the TV to eliminate scrambled ( encrypted) channels.  That left me with a number of channels, allegedly unencrypted, but each one was just a black screen, and the channel mubers were nothing like those on the Insignia.  The insignia is pretty small so I may try to attach it to coax1 to see if I still get those channels I got from coax2.

Thanks for your response and any insight you can provide!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@highschoolhank wrote:

The coax was not coming from a router, just from the connection in the wall (call it coax1) which was here before FIOS was installed. 

Since I orginally posed this question, I tried the same thing using a different and newer TV (Insignia) attached to a different coax wall outlet (coax2).  It was able to pick up a bunch of unencrypted channels.  I also went back to the Samsung on coax1, did some more playing around, and used an option on the TV to eliminate scrambled ( encrypted) channels.  That left me with a number of channels, allegedly unencrypted, but each one was just a black screen, and the channel mubers were nothing like those on the Insignia.  The insignia is pretty small so I may try to attach it to coax1 to see if I still get those channels I got from coax2.

Thanks for your response and any insight you can provide!

Checking coax 1 with the Insignia is a good idea. Are you sure that coax 1 is connected to the same source coax 2 is connected to? Look for a splitter that feeds coax 2 and see if there is a way to connect coax 1 to it. Also if there is a way to connect the Samsung to coax 2 you might be able to find the problem.

highschoolhank
Enthusiast - Level 2

The coax out of the ONT goes to a 3 way MoCA splitter.  I read a bit about MoCA and came across something about the signal being degraded by a normal splitter.  Found which coax out of the MoCA splitter went to where the Samsung is and saw that this cable had a "regular" splitter.  Removed that splitter, connected the input with a straight connector to the output feeding the Samsung outlet, did a channel scan, and voila!