Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Doing a Channel Scan Found No Channels

SOLVED
highschoolhank
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Doing a Channel Scan Found No Channels

Message 1 of 5
(707 Views)

I have a Samsung LCD HD TV that has a QAM tuner.  Doing a channel scan found no channels.  I tried scanning for STD, HRC, and IRC digital signals.  I don't know what else to try.  Is FIOS still transmitting some channels unencrypted?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
highschoolhank
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Doing a Channel Scan Found No Channels

Message 5 of 5
(485 Views)

The coax out of the ONT goes to a 3 way MoCA splitter.  I read a bit about MoCA and came across something about the signal being degraded by a normal splitter.  Found which coax out of the MoCA splitter went to where the Samsung is and saw that this cable had a "regular" splitter.  Removed that splitter, connected the input with a straight connector to the output feeding the Samsung outlet, did a channel scan, and voila!  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
clem53
Gold Contributor IV Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 2 of 5
(673 Views)

@highschoolhank wrote:

I have a Samsung LCD HD TV that has a QAM tuner.  Doing a channel scan found no channels.  I tried scanning for STD, HRC, and IRC digital signals.  I don't know what else to try.  Is FIOS still transmitting some channels unencrypted?  

Was the coax you were using coming from a splitter from the ONT or from the Router?

highschoolhank
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(563 Views)

The coax was not coming from a router, just from the connection in the wall (call it coax1) which was here before FIOS was installed. 

Since I orginally posed this question, I tried the same thing using a different and newer TV (Insignia) attached to a different coax wall outlet (coax2).  It was able to pick up a bunch of unencrypted channels.  I also went back to the Samsung on coax1, did some more playing around, and used an option on the TV to eliminate scrambled ( encrypted) channels.  That left me with a number of channels, allegedly unencrypted, but each one was just a black screen, and the channel mubers were nothing like those on the Insignia.  The insignia is pretty small so I may try to attach it to coax1 to see if I still get those channels I got from coax2.

Thanks for your response and any insight you can provide!

clem53
Gold Contributor IV Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 4 of 5
(553 Views)

@highschoolhank wrote:

The coax was not coming from a router, just from the connection in the wall (call it coax1) which was here before FIOS was installed. 

Since I orginally posed this question, I tried the same thing using a different and newer TV (Insignia) attached to a different coax wall outlet (coax2).  It was able to pick up a bunch of unencrypted channels.  I also went back to the Samsung on coax1, did some more playing around, and used an option on the TV to eliminate scrambled ( encrypted) channels.  That left me with a number of channels, allegedly unencrypted, but each one was just a black screen, and the channel mubers were nothing like those on the Insignia.  The insignia is pretty small so I may try to attach it to coax1 to see if I still get those channels I got from coax2.

Thanks for your response and any insight you can provide!

Checking coax 1 with the Insignia is a good idea. Are you sure that coax 1 is connected to the same source coax 2 is connected to? Look for a splitter that feeds coax 2 and see if there is a way to connect coax 1 to it. Also if there is a way to connect the Samsung to coax 2 you might be able to find the problem.

highschoolhank
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(486 Views)

The coax out of the ONT goes to a 3 way MoCA splitter.  I read a bit about MoCA and came across something about the signal being degraded by a normal splitter.  Found which coax out of the MoCA splitter went to where the Samsung is and saw that this cable had a "regular" splitter.  Removed that splitter, connected the input with a straight connector to the output feeding the Samsung outlet, did a channel scan, and voila!  

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title