Dual Tuner DVR question
birdistasty

Well, actually, it's two questions.  The first - when is the free on-demand stuff updated?  My 6-month old daughter LOVES Boohbah, but there haven't been any new episodes put up in almost two weeks, which I thought was a little strange, since it seemed to be updated on a weekly basis before that.

And the main question -

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered I was able to watch one channel, switch to another channel, watch that one for a little while, then switch back to the original channel, rewind it a bit, and watch what I missed while I was watching the second channel (confused yet?).  And then when I was done watching the first channel, I could switch back to the second channel, rewind, and watch what I missed on THAT channel.  Without actually recording either channel.  I assume that's what the "dual tuner" part of the DVR was all about.

At any rate, I noticed this past weekend that I am no longer able to do that.  Anyone else having this issue?  Anyone know why I can't do this all of a sudden?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Dual Tuner DVR question
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I don't know the answer to question 1. For question 2 it happens to me too every once in awhile. You'll have to reboot the box. Pull the plug for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I don't know the answer to question 1. For question 2 it happens to me too every once in awhile. You'll have to reboot the box. Pull the plug for 30 seconds and plug it back in.
0 Likes
birdistasty

Thanks, matcarl.  I'll try that tomorrow.

I have one more stupid question though..  If I unplug it, am I going to lose all the recorded stuff and whatnot?  I think my in-laws would be kinda upset if I break lose their stuff...heh... 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

It is unlikely that you need to reboot the box. Instead, just start recording whatever channel you are currently watching, switch to any other channel and start recording that one, then stop recording each of the channels (and of course delete the recordings). This procedure will usually (or always) restore the proper operation of the DVR so you can switch between channels and go back to view stuff you missed.

I have only had this problem occur twice in the almost 3 years I have had my DVR, and both times the above procedure fixed it.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Justin's procedure will also fix it, and no, the reboot won't delete any recordings. It is a standard reboot.
0 Likes
birdistasty

Matcarl, thanks a TON.  It worked great, and it seemed to fix some of the other issues I was having, too.  On-demand still isn't updating, though 😞

Justin, I'll try your solution next time.

Thank you both!

0 Likes
zurvan2
Enthusiast - Level 1

The box will record only the "current" channel if it is recording something in the background. If the litlte red light is on, it's "really recording" as opposed to just caching live tv, and will only record one channel that you just watch. If it's recording two things in the background, you have to cancel one to watch anything else.

Wouldn't it be nice if they put this stuff in a guide or documentation somewhere? 

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Yes, but that wasn't his question. He wasn't talking about recording.
0 Likes
birdistasty

@zurvan2 wrote:

The box will record only the "current" channel if it is recording something in the background. If the litlte red light is on, it's "really recording" as opposed to just caching live tv, and will only record one channel that you just watch. If it's recording two things in the background, you have to cancel one to watch anything else.

Wouldn't it be nice if they put this stuff in a guide or documentation somewhere? 

Honestly, I still don't know how the heck to record with the DVR; the only time I really get to watch my kind of TV is after the baby is asleep, and there's really nothing good on anyway 😛

But I wasn't really talking about recording - just watching two channels and being able to rewind and fast forward between the two.  I know the way I worded the question was going to be downright confusing, but I couldn't really put it any other way.  Matcarl seemed to understand my jumblespeak, though, and I'm very thankful for that.  My father-in-law no longer thinks I'm crazy, because he swore that he could never get the live rewind to work in the first place, therefore, it didn't exist.  *snicker* 

0 Likes
zurvan2
Enthusiast - Level 1
He didn't mention whether or not there were recordings in the background. I know I was confused by this same behavior, and background recordings were the difference.
0 Likes