ESata External Hard Drive
DanP6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been trying to add a 2TB external hard drive to my Verizon FIOS 8232, but have not had success.  I have followed all of the steps but the drive never gets recognized.  I am wondering if what I am experiencing is normal, or if something seems incorrect.  The following is what I am experiencing.

I follow the menu under the DVR to enable the external hard drive.  When the unit reboots the TV goes blank and the DVR shows 88:88.  Then the DVR begins flashing a single dot and the hard drive light begins flashing.  After this the TV screen turns white for one to two seconds and says, “Terminal locked.  Enter current pin and press select.”  This then disappears and the DVR shows --:--

Then the time shows back up on the DVR and the TV show the moving message that says to press Menu or turn the TV off.

When you press menu, the TV says, “Verizon FIOS TV starting up – one moment please.”  When you press menu the TV shows programing and pops up with a box that says that the hard drive was used with another DVR.  If you want to use it with this DVR you must Accept or Reject.  When you Accept, the DVR boots again and follows the same steps above, however, when it gets to the 88:88 the hard drive flashes a number of times.  Then when you get back to the TV showing normal programming – nothing has changed – the add additional memory option is still on the DVR screen and there is no additional memory space or recognition that the HD is attached.

Is this the way it works for everyone else whose HD is working?  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: ESata External Hard Drive
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the problems with the drive. Have you tried other drives in the box? This would tell us if its the drive or the box. You could also hook it up to a computer to see if one of your computers could recognize and use it.

0 Likes
jimd

I have the identical issue and it is NOT the drive. I'm interested in hearing the reply.

0 Likes
DanP6
Enthusiast - Level 2

After myriads of attempts I finally gave up and returned the external hard drive.  The salesman suggested a separate enclosure and hard drive (WD).  This worked instantly.  The only trouble I have now is the the drive is constantly accessed - the blue drive light flashed constantly, even when the DVR is turned off.  Any suggestions on this?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@DanP wrote:

After myriads of attempts I finally gave up and returned the external hard drive.  The salesman suggested a separate enclosure and hard drive (WD).  This worked instantly.  The only trouble I have now is the the drive is constantly accessed - the blue drive light flashed constantly, even when the DVR is turned off.  Any suggestions on this?  Thanks.

The DVR is never off.  It is constantly buffering the 2 tuners and basically always writing to the hard drive.  This is by design and there is nothing short of powering down (and I don't mean the "off" button, I mean removing the power) that will prevent the disk access.