Enable Ethernet port on VMS
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wish Verizon would Enable the Enable Ethernet port on the VMS.  I Have coax and ethernet in 2 rooms and ethernet in all rooms the 2 Clients are connect ethernet olny and i would like toi switch to a top of the line router but i need take the fios router out of the picture.    the olny way it would be benafical to me if i could have my setup like this

VMS via ethernet for network and coax for tv

ont  --> Non-Fios Router --->  Clients via eathernet

other devices (Computers via Ethernet and WiFi)

current setup

VMS via coax 

ont ---> Fios router --->     Clients via ethernet

other devices (Computers via Ethernet and WiFi)  

I would add the settop boxes to the DMZ  on my non-fios router so there is no blocked ports between the ont and the settop boxa

0 Likes
Re: Enable Ethernet port on VMS
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

IT still would need the coax for the TV picture.  it does not come over the ethernet from the ONT.  Its the VMS tuners that pick up the signal and can put it out as IP over your local network.

I am not sure what you want to do with the router, but it need be nowhere near the TV's but must be connected via coax and optionally ethernet to the ont.  And coax or ethernet to you IP tuners.

0 Likes
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

yes i know the tv signal is olny on the coax i would have it connect still but olny in the vms(s), the clients would be connected via the ethernet as the client is now no coax is connect to the client ip box.  the vsm would be hoked up coax and ethernet so i  dont need to use the verizon router i can buy my $300 top of the line router so the data would be over the ethernet so i dont need the verizon router at all.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can do all of that except use your own router.

VMS still needs access to Internet for guide and VOD.

0 Likes
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

i know that how it is setup up now but if they enable the ethernet port in the vms i could use my own router vms would be hooked via coax and ethernet 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

That would require a substantial change.

Currently, the tuners in the VMS are set up to handle QAM.

To have it run over thernet, they would have to change all of the channels over to IP.

Which the ONT can't do. So all new equipment in the VHOs as well as new IP infratructure to handle it.

0 Likes
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

no i say leave the tv single the way it is over the coax but allow the data to be sent over ethernet instead of moca(coax).  so the the QAM would still be on the coax but the img guide data, on damand data and other data for the box to go over ethernet. the IPC1100 boxes would be ethernet olny as i have the set up now

VMS would have coax and ethernet hoked up to it and client boxes  have ethernet olny

then there world be no need for the verizon router

over all setup would look like this

instead of the current setup like this

0 Likes
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

leave the tv single the way it is over the coax but allow the data to be sent over ethernet instead of moca(coax).  so the the QAM would still be on the coax but the img guide data, on damand data and other data for the box to go over ethernet. the IPC1100 boxes would be ethernet olny as i have the set up now

VMS would have coax and ethernet hoked up to it and client boxes  have ethernet olny

then there world be no need for the verizon router

over all setup would look like this

instead of the current setup like this

i have 2-3 cat6 cables in each room going through the walls the go back to the Master bedroom closet

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I could see this as a support nightmare to Verizon.

What happens when people don't have the correct ports enabled on their router and Guide, VOD or caller id doesn't work.

Verizon says they are ok and customer says its not working come out and fix it?

0 Likes
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

they can state if you have you own router then you must know how to foward ports and list ports and if you do you your own router then if you have a problem then you because of that the you my pay for tech repair visit.  just because most people are  nott computer tech, us computer tech should not be left out

0 Likes