Enabling Multi Hub DVRs
wkleschi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have a CISCO 500 GB Multi Room DVR connect to three HD CIsco Box (no DVR).  I want to swap one of my HD Box for a 2nd CISCO DVR so I can enable Multi Hub features so I can see both DVRs on all boxes.  I am a little confused on what I need to order to  enable this feature.  I though I had to order another MultiRoom DVR but that is not an option when I try to upgrade.  The only option is a HD DVR Box.  I assuming as long as this is a CISCO DVR it work and Multi Hub will be enabled... correct ?

0 Likes
Re: Enabling Multi Hub DVRs
prisaz
Legend

@wkleschi wrote:

I currently have a CISCO 500 GB Multi Room DVR connect to three HD CIsco Box (no DVR).  I want to swap one of my HD Box for a 2nd CISCO DVR so I can enable Multi Hub features so I can see both DVRs on all boxes.  I am a little confused on what I need to order to  enable this feature.  I though I had to order another MultiRoom DVR but that is not an option when I try to upgrade.  The only option is a HD DVR Box.  I assuming as long as this is a CISCO DVR it work and Multi Hub will be enabled... correct ?

Just order a second DVR. It will be seen by all the STBs. CHS-435 DVRs, and I am 99.9% Motorola functions the same. Great if you have HD STBs in bedrooms or kitchen, but note my findings

One DVR can not tell the other DVR what to record. This function does not exist with multihub. If you have two DVRs, and STBs, the STBs can select which DVR to record to. I wanted my DVR which is my main viewer to be able to record on itself, or the other DVR. Function does not exist. If I remember the second DVR could not see or play back from the first. I may be wrong on that part. It has been a while. You must go to the second DVR, or another STB to program or schedule a recording. My second DVR went back the next day. I hope the Verizon Media Server comes out at some point soon, and then everything can control the tuners in the server.

If you want the STBs to be able to control both DVR's schedules, and playback  no issues, but you have no DVR pause, rewind, fast forward from a STB. I thought of placing a STB next to a DVR but not at the STB rental cost and the remote control wanting to control both devices at the same time. Waiting for multi tuner server. Cisco Version ? All the pictures I have seen on the web show it as a Motorola device. I hope Cisco will soon follow. I am a Cisco hardware fan.

http://www.multichannel.com/news-article/verizon-nears-launch-fios-media-server/139440

0 Likes
Re: Enabling Multi Hub DVRs
marc35655
Contributor - Level 1

Multi-room is not a phyisical type of DVR. It's a flag that can be activated on most DVRs for a price..And I've heard of people having more than one.

0 Likes